View Single Post
Old
01-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
he's falling in these rankings because he has had surgery and didn't play this year so far, a lot of these scouts haven't had good veiwing of him. all i know is he is super skilled and if someone gets him out of the top 10 its probably going to be a steal.

it's to early to tell i admit myself especially because there's loads of time for climbers to some in but he is easily a top 10 pic.
Agreed

Galchenyuk was a consensus top 5 pick before his injury.

His injury and the amount of time he'll miss is basically the same as Brett Connolly 2 years ago.

Connolly still went top 10.

I think Galchenyuk will too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Are you being sarcastic? If so, let me clarify - I'm acknowledging that the trade is possible, and Montreal is a team that could potentially be interested in trading up for Grigorenko. It's definitely worth thinking about.

I'm also stating that the #2 overall pick is rarely traded. That's just a fact. Every year, there is a team that goes off the board in the top 10. The team's fans invariably say they wish the team had traded down to get that player. The Thomas Hickey pick is an extreme example. I'm guessing that the problem is a combination of 2 teams finding it difficult to establish fair value for such a high pick, and teams not wanting to allow for their target to maybe be taken if they trade down more than 1 spot.

But, the possibility is still intriguing.
While its true that these picks are rarely traded, it does still happen from time to time. And when it does its usually a trade that only moves a team down 1 or 2 spots.

See 1999... trades involving the Sedin picks
See 2002.... rick Nash.
see 2003..... Marc Andre Fleury

All of these involved a top 2 pick and the trade down was usually 1 or 2 spots.

So it has happened, though those were all 9, 10, 13 years ago now.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 01-15-2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: merge