View Single Post
Old
01-15-2012, 10:31 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
George Allen, LW/D

George Allen is #2 on the GP leaders for available players with 339, and when you consider that he played when the schedule was 48-50 games long, that is about as impressive as Lorne Ferguson's record - perhaps more. Plus, Allen was an above average player in the NHL, and was a swingman.

Typically I like to use swingmen as spares, but Allen's overall resume is too strong to keep him out of the starting lineup. Allen actually earned percentage scores of 70, 51, 50, and 41, which is better than a lot of already selected players from this era. He did it from the wing too, which makes him a hotter commodity.

Plus, hockey-reference.com actually says Allen was a defensemen in the 1940, 1942, 1943 and 1946 seasons. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this, but I think they had to get it from somewhere. I believe the truth is probably somewhere in the middle, that he played some defense those years. His defensemen point% scores would be 124, 79, 75 and 71 which seems a little out there. He also didn't get any all-star votes and it's hard to believe that a defenseman that prolific wouldn't at least get something. So I think he was viewed primarily as a forward. Even if he didn't play D a lot and he's not a "true" swingman, it does mean that he was stronger offensively than he looked.

In Allen's four best seasons he ranked 24th, 30th, 32nd, and 39th in scoring. He also played a very impressive 41 playoff games, scoring 19 points, making the finals with the 1944 Hawks (3rd in team playoff scoring) and the 1947 Habs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Herald
Thompson paired Rookies xxx and George Allen with Centre Cully Dahlstrom, which gave him a rugged combination and one which thrives on heavy going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Gazette
...and Left-wingers Doug Bentley, xxx, and George Allen. Those men played the kind of fast, aggressive hockey that made Chicago one of the league's "gold mines" last year, when 288,315 customers gave Chicago second place...
Thanks to Bring Back Scuderi for finding a couple of quotes I couldn't have been bothered to find (really disillusioned with Google News lately)

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote