View Single Post
Old
01-15-2012, 10:32 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Andy Murray, Coach

Murray stands out for a few reasons at this point:

- His 738 career NHL games coached is the highest among all available.
- His win% of .537 is also the highest among coaches with 500+ games coached
- This means his 333 career NHL wins are far ahead of the next-highest remaining
- He received some Adams consideration: 2nd in 2009, and 5th in 2000.
- He also has six years' experience as an NHL assistant coach, going to the finals with Minnesota in 1991.
- His international record is also excellent, 26-4-5, with three world championship golds, 1997, 2003, 2007
- He is now in the IIHF HOF as a builder.
- I think all the best international coaches are recognized, the guys remaining just blend into a mush

Murray now coaches the Western Michigan Broncos, a college team:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlive.com
“I think everybody is feeling, ‘Oh boy, it must be a big adjustment from pros to college,’ but it only is if you have a different kind of coaching style. I think my style is one that works at different levels. It’s all about communication.”
WMU senior captain Ian Slater said the Broncos have been soaking up every soft-spoken word that comes out of their coach’s mouth. “Blashill was young, and I don’t want to say aggressive, but he spoke what was on his mind,” Slater said. “Coach Murray is going to sit back and think, ‘Why did you say this?’ or ‘Why did you do this play?’ He has a real approachable attitude. When Coach Murray speaks, you listen. He’s not always saying something, but when he’s saying something, no matter how soft or subtle, the room is quiet.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlive.com
Andy Murray has received one of the highest honors for his work in the sport of hockey.

The first-year Western Michigan University coach has been inducted into the International Ice Hockey Federation Hall of Fame.

Murray is a member of the 2012 class in the Builders category, along with Pavel Bure, Phil Housley, Raimo Helminen and Milan Novy.

“It’s a great honor,” Murray said. “It’s pretty humbling for me. It’s recognition of that fact that I’ve been surrounded by some pretty good people for a lot of years in other great coaches and great players. You’re kind of humbled to realize you’re recognized as the coach. Really, it’s the players who are the people that make the difference.

“It’s a reward for coaches who work hard, which I think I work at my profession. It’s pretty gratifying. I’m going in with some pretty special people.”

Murray, a native of Souris, Manitoba, coached Team Canada to three IIHF World Championships in 1997, 2003 and ’07. He is the only non-Russian head coach in IIHF history to win three championships for his country.

The longtime NHL coach is the ninth Canadian coach to be inducted into the IIHF Hall of Fame and 23rd Canadian overall.

Murray said hockey has always been his way of life.

“It’s allowed me to never have to have a real job,” he said with a laugh. “I want to keep fooling people as long as I can. I just like coaching and being around people and thinking you’re making a little bit of a difference.

“I think how you measure your life is how many other people you’ve helped and I’d like to think I’ve helped a few people along the way. An awful lot of people have helped me.”
Murray led Team Canada to a record six Spengler Cups, an annual hockey tournament in Davos, Switzerland.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote