Thread: TSN: Is this a boring team?
View Single Post
Old
01-15-2012, 10:55 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

vCash: 500
I'm going to say yes, we are boring. And no, we're not.

My take:

Yes. We are a boring team. Maybe not 90s trap boring, but we play a very simple, very grinding game that doesn't result in a lot of BIG time opportunities and tries not to give up many either. The game is very far from being a run and gun, offensive bonanza, even on our most explosive nights.

But, as a NYR fan, it's not boring at all. The thing is, you have to know the team and be invested in the identity. I have no doubt that we're not the most exciting team to watch as a prime-time matchup on national television to a bunch of casual hockey fans/fans of other teams. But if you know each character on the team and each player's role and you know the way this team plays, than it becomes exciting to watch the way that the system works each night. Seeing this team stick to its guns, stick to its identity and stick to a plan night in and night out and watching that plan being executed and actually bare fruit... that IS exciting. For us. Dan Girardi is an all-star this year. He's not a Mike Green or a Kris Letang or a Erik Karlsson. Those are the guys that play exciting hockey. Dan Girardi is OUR version of an all-star. And that's ok. It sums up this team. We're not exciting if the only kind of hockey you can appreciate is beautiful, freewheeling, skillful puck distribution resulting in gorgeous, crisp setups and countless offensive opportunities. But if you're invested in the identity of this team and you understand how to appreciate ugly, hard fought, hard earned, heart and soul hockey than you'll easily be able to see that, when this team is on, there is a LOT of energy and a lot of enthusiasm and a lot to get excited about.

That's my 2 cents.

Ollie Queen is online now   Reply With Quote