View Single Post
Old
01-16-2012, 07:55 AM
Lshap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The draft is linear. It is not a "blind alley". Having multiple top picks is a huge advantage when trying to get superstars. Without superstars you probably won't win cups. We never get top five picks and we never have superstars and that's why we're in the state that we're in.
I like a lot of your points. I'd love to get a series of top picks and watch 'em turn the team into a powerhouse. But I think the only way to do that - as you said - is to give away everyone good on the Habs to get a potential star. If our measuring stick is to become "Great", we'd have to jettison a whole lot of "Very good" in order to get it. That means the 'very good' Pacioretty, Cole, Desharnais, Eller, even Subban and Gorges, become the price to pay to get two or three potential future stars. Because if you believe in blowing up the team, it has to be a true blowout, with the acknowledgment that no team gives its first-round pick for anything less than a current star - which we don't have - or a couple of "Very goods", which is all we have. And if you believe we don't even have "Very good", then we either have to deal three "Pretty goods" to get a single top pick, or else we can't even play this "Blow-up for picks" game.

Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit. I'm not sure. I had a very, very rough night. But with the few brain cells left functioning, I'm not comfortable with the above scenario.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote