View Single Post
Old
01-16-2012, 08:44 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR303 View Post
I understand that, but that sounds more like spite than rational thought. I understand it, and on some levels agree with it, but if we're in the top 8, we're better off having Suter on our blue line.
We've been top-8 for 6 of the past 7 seasons, and what do we have to show for it? One playoff series win. This team is not that different from last seasons, so it's not as if we're so close to the cup with how this team is currently constructed. Poile hasn't done anything to make them better than last year. So what's the point?

With the return we could get from Suter, I still think we're top-8, and hopefully the return we get will be here for a while. This organization cannot afford to let Suter walk others before. He's just that much better than all of the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
That won't put any bitter feelings into negotiations at all. What if he isn't moved to the highest bidder because Poile felt it wasn't worth it. Poile has now blown any chance to negotiate a deal with Suter and he'll definitely hit free agency and not sign here. I think you're right that Poile has to set a deadline with Suter but that's all he has to do at this point. Beyond that, look for the best possible deal if it comes along. If it doesn't, like someone else said, we're better off keeping Suter and letting him walk or trying to negotiate once the season is over.

We all speculate what's happening but what if Suter and Weber told Poile we'll take care of this once the season/playoffs are over? Has anyone considered that? Me included. Maybe they are committed to staying but they don't want it to be a distraction to the team and doing that now is just that. Now granted, not doing it is a distraction because of all the possible rumors.
What difference does it make if there are bitter feelings in the negotiations? He's apparantly not signing anyway. Hockey is a business, and these are all grown men. I think they can stomach a little bit of honest talk, because that's all that it is.

If Suter didn't want to make this a distraction, then sign the deal. Heck, he could have signed it at anytime. The fact that there is speculation and hand wringing makes it all the more of the distraction.

Let's face it, Suter does want to try the open market. That's fine. I have no problem with that. But Nashville has to protect it's assets, and that's all that this is.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote