View Single Post
Old
01-16-2012, 10:27 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Mike Priest had the first and final word. He most likely sought league help in identifying candidates and he had a list of criteria that he wanted, but the search and subsequent hire were most likely "all him".

Consider this: At a time when we talk about how much the lack of NHL caliber front office types habit Nationwide Arena (right now), Mike Priest, a man who had just a few weeks of NHL presidency under his belt and no past experience in any capacity in major sports or the NHL, was the sole guy making the decisions and recommendations to ownership.... SCARY.
I don't believe this accurate. As I understand it, Hitchcock had a lot to do with vetting the candidates and conducted interviews along with Priest. I had heard Mr. McConnell wanted Hitch to become GM and Hitchcock declined. They then used him as a "senior advisor" as well as coach. If I recall correctly, there were not a lot of solid candidates beating down the door. There were several reasons, not the least of which was having the coach in the decision process.