View Single Post
Old
01-16-2012, 11:14 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
I think this thread does bring up a good point though (although, not as I would have worded it).

Leafs have some prospects pushing for spots on forward, and will have a new batch of prospects joining the Marlies next year. Not ruling out the potential for a 'surprise' in camp.

These decisions on UFA's are made by teams all the time. There has to be some turn-over and allow your youth to come in and take spots in the roster at a fraction of the cost.

This isn't the traditional 'blow it up, get picks/prospects'. This is going to be a calculated decision to sign two players (specifically) to mid-to-long term deals. Then, like I mentioned, you have to decide on Kulemin and Gustavsson who will get moderate raises.

Can Colborne/Kadri/Frattin make the jump next year and produce in top-nine roles if you decide to move Grabovski? Can Gardiner or maybe a Jesse Blacker offset the loss of a Liles? Which player would be the harder for this team to replace?

If the Leafs do acquire a center I imagine it spells the end for Grabovski here (depending on who they give up in such a deal). I think Liles needs to be signed due to current speed of the defensive core.