View Single Post
Old
01-16-2012, 11:25 AM
bourgeoisie
Je suis Charlie

vCash: 500
During Richards' career there have been many stretches where he has put up numbers well below his average. Then he follows with stretches where he puts up numbers well above his career average, leveling out his dry spells. This is the essence of the sport... Most players who hit 70-80 points aren't on pace for that number the entire year, unless you are Sidney Crosby or Datsyuk. They either start off on pace for much more and regress, or start off slow and finish strong.

Yes, it is unsettling that BR has put up 2 assists in a long stretch of games, but the guy has also put up 6 GWG which is vastly more valuable to this team than stat padding secondary assists on the Powerplay.

At the beginning of the year, I said I would be fine if BR put up 65 points thinking that Torts would use him against the top competition allowing Gaborik's line to feast upon the lesser competition. I'm not the only one who had a funny feeling that Richards and Gaborik wouldn't click. Anyway, the point is, Richards' has a hand in Gaborik's success, and he has a bigger hand in the team's success, and it goes beyond assists, or lack thereof.

Richards' presence makes the team more dangerous, and I'm not about to start calling for heads halfway through year 1 in the contract, especially considering our position in the conference and the contributions Richards made to help put us there. I'll wait for year 2.

bourgeoisie is offline   Reply With Quote