Old
01-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Dead line reasonable price? Ts ts ts..
Well, reasonable as far as the deadline goes. For instance, Tim Gleason shouldn't be getting a 1st rounder. If that's the going rate, then the Flyers should pass. Second rounder + mid pick or prospect, or something along those lines? Yea, I'd pull the trigger on that. I also think we could re-sign him cheap if management chose to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
If slipping Minnesota Wild or Dallas Stars call us tomorrow about Briere and he says yes, would you make a trade?
Well, it's an irrelevant question, because if those teams are slipping, they aren't trading for Danny Briere.

That was kinda my point. We won't be getting high 1st rounders for Briere or Jagr. Teams going after those players will be true contenders, not fringe playoff teams with the potential to drop into the lottery. That's why I say that guys like Briere and Jagr have more value to our team as veterans in a playoff run, which the young guns can learn alot from, as opposed to some late 1st picks. And, in the case of Briere, if the team deemed it necessary to move him to "quick rebuild", they can do so in the offseason. He's not a UFA.

Again, we just see things differently. For the record, no, I don't think this team is winning a Cup this year. I just don't think it's in our best interests to sell off veterans at the deadline. It sends the wrong message, in my opinion, and as stated earlier, we won't get the same value in return that they provide in veteran leadership on the team now.

Now, would I take a serious look at trying to acquire a young stud Dman in the offseason? Sure, even if we win the Cup, I think that's a good idea. When is that ever a bad idea, really? I just don't think we should sell during the season, considering where we are in the standings. I also don't think we should be giving up substantial assets for a guy like Suter, who we may not be able to re-sign. I don't think the Flyers will win the Cup, but at this time last year, virtually no one saw the Bruins winning either. Hell, they were still getting laughed at for choking up a 3-0 lead to our very own Philadelphia Flyers. No one is laughing at them now.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote