View Single Post
Old
01-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Tim Wallach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Im out at OHL rinks quite often, and Ive seen Button at at least 5 games this season. No doubt that he is out there looking at players. Agree or not agree, I think its fair to say that he puts the work in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he doesn't try and isn't working at it. I'm saying it's a physical impossibility for any one person to have an expert opinion on all of these guys.

Even seeing a guy 5 or 6 times doesn't really give you a great perspective. To really understand what a player brings, you need to see him live, multiple times in many situations over a decent time period. You simply can't be a generalist at this game of scouting.

It's why most teams do the regional thing. Try to have scouts see the same teams many times. Most NHL scouts I speak with acknowledge that fact.... they'll see a guy a dozen times and still not feel completely comfortable that they've seen him enough. No way any guy in the media gets to enough games to compile an accurate list without relying on second hand info.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote