View Single Post
Old
01-16-2012, 02:32 PM
ruckus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Because all summer we heard how he was going to elevate everyone's game here, "elite" players are supposed to do that. So now it's not his fault because his line mates suck? No excuses, Richards has been a disappointment
Again, I think this is a problem for the individuals who ever thought he was elite. He's a very good player. He has been good some games, very good other games, and bad others. He hasn't been great, that's for sure. But I'm not sure why people think he's an elite player. He's an elite passer. He's made some pretty good ones since he's been here. A lot of those haven't been converted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
Come on Ruckus he has 2 assists in his last 18 games. You have been around these boards along time and i respect that but he is not what we all thought when we signed him to a 9 year deal? You keep saying that he is 2-3 3 point games from having better numbers. The fact is he has not had these games, and if he had we would not have a thread talking about his lack of production. I keep hearing that he has no left wing, no pp guy, Malkin had 5 points last night in there game with no Sid, Letang,Stall,a bangrd up Benn. He finds a way to get it done. Thats elite to me. Let me ask you a question. If BR finishes with 55-60 points this year, is he worth 6.6 million to the Rangers?
He hasn't been good lately. I'm not even trying to argue that he's had a good year so far. I just think that my expectations of him haven't been too far off, and it's because I never classified him as elite. I thought he would help most on the power play. That hasn't been the issue but I think that our power play has much bigger problems than Brad Richards. This team can't even get set up. And I hate the fact that Torts won't just keep him on the point where he's comfortable and has the ability to use his vision and passing more effectively.

And I keep saying he's 2-3 good games away from it basically being a typical season for him because it's the truth. What do you think has greater odds...him having those games at some point or him never having then? Based on his career, I'd bank on him having them. So who is crazier? Me for thinking that could happen, or people who want to assume they won't and he'll continue to be a "huge disappointment"? I think basing your opinion of him on the first half of the first season of his nine year contract is lunacy. Comparing him to Malkin isn't fair. Malkin is such a physical presence. Richards has never been. Malkin is an absolute bull and can take over a game by himself. He has elite potential. Richards is not that type of player.

As far as your question goes, I don't really know how to answer that because I don't look at things in such a black and white type of way. To me it's about the overall team. I don't give two craps about cap hit once the season starts. Not two freaking craps. It is irrelevant to me. I look at the team as a whole. If this team has home ice advantage in the playoffs and makes some noise and its a successful year, why do I care what BR's cap hit is? While I agree that 55-60 points is a little lower than I would hope for, it wouldn't be the end of the world to me. I think that he's already played a role and increased our depth exponentially and that's a big reason we're first in the Eastern Conference right now and not battling for a playoff spite, despite the fact that he hasn't had a great start.

Once the playoffs start the slate is wiped clean. How do we know what's going to happen? If he finishes with 55 points and has a great post season, are you going to care that he had 55 points?

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote