View Single Post
Old
01-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Fulcrum

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydrum View Post
A very, very kind Windsor fan sent me the Final of the U-17s, and as electrifying as Sergie Tolchinski was (he was bl**dy lights out) the Russian that really impressed the heck out of me was Valeri Nichushkin.
Unlike Torchinski, Valeri has considerable size, and on many plays, displayed obvious strength and power, often bulldozing to the net--on occasion with a defenceman draipsing over him.
He also had terrific speed and skills.
The TV guys were drawing comparisons to Evgeniy Malkin, which I reckon is more than fair.

Barbashev....not as noticeable, and considerably behind Tolchnski and Nichushkin, (although to be fair Im only talking the one game I have seen)
Nichushkin games from U-17 can be seen on fast hockey, gotta pay though. If he plays the way he did there, he might even crack the U20 team next year.

Without hyping, it's easy to say that he is talented and blessed size wise. He has to improve his production- perhaps consistency is an issue, which is ok for 95.

Tolchinsky is your Yakupov, Ovechkin style player, although he is very petite. But his speed, acceleration and intensity are right up there. Very good puck control. He is leading his age group in MHL and is doing better than Grigo did on a weaker team.