View Single Post
Old
01-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Larry44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
You guys remember that Danny has a full NMC and isn't going to leave Philly, right?
Yeah, he'll never waive, so it's all moot. And even if he did, I don't think he'd ever go anywhere but home to Ottawa (he's from Hull, er, renamed Gatineau), which means they wouldn't have to give up anything for him.

Given that we can't trade Briere, Timonen or Hartnell (NMC/NTC), and we won't trade Jagr, we really don't have any old vets we can dish off to 'contenders' for picks/prospects even if we wanted to tank.

I agree we shouldn't pay TOO much for a guy like Gleason, but we don't know what the market is, just as we don't know all the buyers and sellers yet either.

As has been outlined in the Acquiring a D thread, there are many, many vet Dmen out there on expiring contracts who could help us in different ways.

Many playoff bound teams either don't need a Dman or don't have any cap room anyway.

I am usually in favour of doing deals earlier, but there might be more sellers the longer Homer waits, and a corresponding reduction in buyers, closer to the deadine.

Right now, there are only the bottom three teams in each conference who are approaching mathematical impossibility of making it: Carolina, NYI and Tampa in the east and Edm, Ana and Columbus in the West. Anaheim is making its usual late charge, but I don't think they can make up the gap in the time they have left. There are too many teams to pass.

If the bubble teams like Buffalo, Montreal, Winnipeg, Calgary and Phoenix stumble in the next few weeks, a couple of them might reasonably tank, which will mean Homer has more affordable options and fewer competitors.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote