Thread: Ben Eager
View Single Post
Old
12-28-2005, 11:00 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
I don't know if that's a bit optimistic. He's been used improperly with the Phantoms. It's tough to play a skill game when John Stevens had him on the "energy" re: goon line with the Phantoms. However, when Stevens did play Eager with the top line of Umberger and Sim last year, he played really well. The guy has some skill and it's about time that someone used him in a skill position. We all know he can hit and fight so it made no sense for Stevens to continue to play him in that role. I see Eager's development path as similar to Tocchet's path. Eager might not have the offensive game that Rick had, but he does have some skill that can be harnessed. I don't think 50 points is out of the question at all for Eager.
he is going to need to develop his hands significantly to reach that level... though, on the right line i can see him putting some nice totals up on the board. however, he fumbles the puck a lot when people pressure him... which isn't really encouraging for him to develop into anything above a good third line role. i view him as a better version of Todd Fedoruk. he plays within himself, tries to make smart/safe plays, etc.

this isn't to say that i think he's necessarily incapable of getting to 50 pts if he's given a scoring role, but i think that's about the max he's going to get... 30-40 pts in an 82 game schedule is something i expect from him right now going forward, anything more than that is a bonus. if he can develop into a quality PK'er (he's a good skater) he'll be a quality player at the NHL level.