View Single Post
Old
01-17-2012, 02:09 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
IT could actually happen. I mean this team has shown some flashes of brilliance, I agree we have been playing below potential all year. Toronto, Buffalo or all in decline right now, and we face all these opponents soon. if we could patch a 3 or 4 game point streak together and get some momemtum going, it would give the guys a reason to play everynight. Maybe the recent trade will also inspire some to start working a bit harder as certain players might actually want to stay in Montreal.
The team is starting to develop an identity with their forward group. Its a very simple game. Chip and chase with your big bodies, and throw everything at the net... look for loose change in the dirty areas.

The defense is where the concern is. Its missing a certain dimension. I said before that nobody really takes ownership of the area around Carey Price. Anyone can get in that area and there's really nobody imposing there to clear the bodies. Gill does it to an extent. Emelin is good at being physical in open ice and around the boards, but he hasnt really shown that mean streak around the net. The other D may try to clear the area but there's nothing really intimidating about them.

I'll cheer for the habs all the way, but I hope the priority for this club in the off season becomes to find a rugged dimension on D particularly when it comes to taking care of crease crashers. It would make price's job a helluva lot easier, and it eliminates some of the freebies that the habs have been giving up around the net. Campoli and Gill have expiring contracts and probably wont be back. Weber is in limbo, and the organization needs to make a decision on Diaz too. This means that the habs will certainly have the flexibility to try and find that dimension if they so choose, which is good news.

Contrary to what some may believe, I dont think the habs are in need of a massive blow out and rebuild. With a couple smart moves, they can get back to being competitive right away, and keep building from there.

Last edited by Hackett: 01-17-2012 at 02:17 AM.