Thread: Speculation: Gauthier in New Jersey
View Single Post
Old
01-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Would love Clarkson, but NJ has no reason to trade him. Especially not for two UFAs.

The Weber/DeBoer connection is interesting. I can't think of what we'd want from NJ though. Palmieri is interesting and I guess a possibility. Tedenby I can see being on the block and as much as I loved him as a prospect, he doesn't look like what we need at all.
in either case, I'd expect a 1-for-1 type deal (value-wise), and i don't know that NJ would bite on that.

I'd make the case that Weber (assuming he continues improving) would fill a bigger 2-3 year "need" than either Palmieri or Tendenby (assuming they continue improving).

assuming Emelin/Weber continue to progress and make a big leap over the next 12-18 months, and that markov returns relatively effective, having a defense core for the next 2-3 years of

Subban - Gorges
Diaz - Markov
Weber - Emelin

would be pretty darn good and cap-friendly.

add a veteran depth dman to give competition for the bottom-pairing, and I think we're set.

Allows Tinordi/Beaulieu/Nash/Ellis/Bennet to focus on developing in the AHL, and with that group we have pretty solid call-up options perhaps as early as next year.

up front, neither Palmieri/Tedenby look to be on track to break out as dominant top-6 players in the near future (if at all), and we already have a pretty solid group of solid-but not spectacular- wingers that are in place for the next few seasons (MaxPac/Cole/Bourque/Gionta).

what we need to really get better is adding an elite winger to that group, not so much adding a young guy learning the ropes, especially with Leblanc, and to a lesser extent Palushaj knocking on the door to round out the top-9.

i know i value/appreciate weber more than most, but imo, even a 1-for-1 swap for either of those two guys would do little to help us over the next few seasons, at least not as much as Weber potentially can...

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote