Thread: Berger: Itís Optimus Reim or Bust
View Single Post
Old
01-17-2012, 09:58 PM
makbeer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidergoalie View Post
In Reimer's interview yesterday he made mention of getting back to the top of the crease where he should be.
I liked hearing that because it demonstrated an actual isolation of a problem area, and a defined intention and strategy to fix it.

I am really really tired of the Reimer versus Gus thing.
I fully admit I prefer Reimer both in terms of his style of goaltending (which is very very much like Giguere who is my all time favorite goalie) and in terms of his personality, but that is not to say I don't like Gus. Actually I've liked the real changes and improvements in Gus's game beyond the wins or stats, and aside from the yelling and stick smashing last year (which without doubt was frustration with himself and not his teammates), there is nothing unlikeable about the guy at all. I truly and deeply want both to succeed. I want any goalie in blue and white with a leaf on his chest to succeed!

I am even more tired of the myopic view of Leaf fans and media. Reimer is a quality goalie with solid technique and a great head on his shoulders. Even if the rest of the year he struggles, in the big picture I believe he will be the #1 goalie for the Toronto Maple Leafs, and provide us with quality goaltending that may even rival the Belfour, Cujo, Potvin days.

Tonight is not Reimer or bust. It is one game against a hot team. Hopefully Reims plays well and we win, but if not...oh well. It is not the end of the world, the season or Reimer's career.
Fantastic post. Agree with everything except switch the names for me - I prefer watching Gus play but I cheer Reimer on with all my heart when he takes the cage. I believe both guys are good goalies and good people and the way they seem to support eachother in what is clearly a heated battle for the job is pretty inspirational to me.

makbeer is offline   Reply With Quote