View Single Post
Old
01-18-2012, 09:28 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loto68 View Post
Based on dominance versus his peers and from reading tons on the opinions of those who know more than I do. IIRC Cook is the only Ranger to ever lead the NHL in scoring and is arguably the 6th greatest NHL right winger of all time. If Brad Park had played his whole career with the Rangers Leetchie (as much as I love him) would probably only be the 2nd greatest Rangers defenseman of all time. Yes Leetch won 2 Norris's to Park's 0 but he finished 1st runner up 6 times to a couple of guys named Orr and Potvin, the greatest player of all time and one of the maybe top 5 defensemen of all time.
Some people put Park ahead of Leetch - I'm not one of them. You can say what you want about Orr & Park, but Coffey, Bourque, Stevens, & Chelios weren't lightweights either.

Conn Smythe (1st U.S. player to win)
Stanley Cup
Norris x 2
Probably undeniably the best U.S. born defenseman ever

Personally, I'd put Leetch in the top 10 or 15 to ever play defense. Can't say I'd make that same judgement about Cook (obviously, never saw him play). Still, it's hard to compare eras where that much time has gone by and how much the game and players have changed. Impossible, really.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote