View Single Post
Old
01-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Halifaxhab*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I'm a bit torn on AK and Moen...they both bring size and physical play. Moen brings toughness and can kill penalities.

However, with all the young forwards on the way within 2-3 years(Bournival Gallagher Kristo Quailer Holland LeBlanc Avtsin), do we want to commit 2-4 years to those two? Moen can play a 4th line role but if you're going to pay him more than his current 1.5 mil cap hit, do you want 2-2.5 mil on a 4th line?
Out of the ones you mentioned Leblanc (likely next year), Gallagher and Bournival (two years), Avtsin (2-3 years, maybe) are the only ones I see making it as regulars in the NHL with Montreal.

I would much rather sign AK to a 3-4 year deal at about his current cap hit. He can score, hit, play both wings and has good chemistry with Eller.

Moen I see as someone who will try to cash in off what will likely be his best career season. We will be much better off selling him off as a rental and maximizing our investment (as a UFA who signed with us).

Our loss on the physical play will be the remainder of this year...and we are not really looking too much like a contender so it's a minimal hit for long term gain.

If we went with my proposal (and if it actually worked that easily) we'd end up with 4 picks in the top rounds of a very deep draft that could net us one maybe two NHL all-stars and a couple solid NHLers in a couple years to graft onto our core youth in place already.