View Single Post
Old
01-18-2012, 11:46 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr199435 View Post
Bingo. I won't give Sather any credit until we win a Cup. It seems more to me that he tried to buy a team first, and only moved toward drafting/developing players when his All-Star rosters failed him. He shouldn't get credit for throwing everything at the wall and having something stick. The only credit I'll give him are for the trades (with the exception of the Leetch one, although that did result in Michael Suaer) and for the hiring of Gordie Clarke and Jeff Gorton. But he's been very unwise with the checkbook, and each new free agency I feel like I'm putting my head under the guillotine and waiting for the blade to drop. I mean, after Chara left Redden's numbers took a serious dip. And then he got hurt for half a season. What about that says offer him near $7 mil a year in a salary cap league?

I get the Gomez and Drury thing. We needed centers, and nobody could have foretold that they would have been that bad. And I give him credit for landing us McDonagh (and indirectly Prust) from the Gomez deal. But again, until this team wins a Cup, he is not forgiven. He's still got way too many failures to his name in New York. If it weren't for Jagr and Lundqvist, his track record would be even worse. Any other GM would have been fired 10 times over.
Couldn't have put it ANY better myself. And like I have said a million times, Don Maloney was doing a lot of the drafting until he left and is in my opinion is responsible for more of the talent drafted than Sather.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote