View Single Post
Old
01-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Moo I agree with this point. I don't care what she looks like she is just not very good. I cringe every time I hear her speak because she is always fumbling for words or making a very awkward transition to another subject.
Exactly. So instead of making awkward transitions, why not just simplify it? Something a LOT of newscasters really need to learn.

Instead of (random made-up example): "Welcome back to Nationwide Arena where the fans are enjoying some of the new sushi on sale here. I wish I could try some because it looks so yummy but I don't know how everyone else would feel about it if I'd eat some right now." (And fumbling through that big time.)

Just say:

"Welcome back to Nationwide Arena. It is scoreless during the second intermission between the Oilers and your Blue Jackets. Later on this period we will send it up to Bill Davidge for the telestrator highlights, but for now, we want to show you (and set up the feature piece they want to show.)"

The second example is cleaner, more precise, no fumbling unless you can't speak English clearly, and it is to the point. A bit more vanilla, perhaps, but it gets the job done and sounds a lot more professional.

The problem is a lot of these newscasters are taught to jazz things up (in the sports world, this is the SportsCenter syndrome), but when you're on live TV, the "idle chit chat" stuff as I call it can backfire. (Need I remind people of the field reporter who wanted to congratulate a female anchor's Hoosiers on a great win, but botched the word Hoosiers? It was a YT sensation for a short time a few months ago) If you're in a different format such as delayed broadcast or writing, that's fine, because you can edit. Live TV? No editing can be done because you're live.

Case in point: If you're ever in Zanesville, watch the WHIZ broadcasts on a Saturday or Sunday night. They're weekend anchors fresh from college (usually OU) getting their feet wet in actual TV broadcasting. It can be comical or painful, depending on how you view it, but either way, it shows what is wrong with live reporting and those not instructed properly to just do the news rather than try to be the news.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote