View Single Post
Old
01-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Do you guys think Leopold is someone who could be moved at/before the deadline?

Also, what is your team looking for? A scoring forward? Depth?
I think Leopold could be moved at the deadline. We already have $57m committed to next season's payroll, and that's before Ennis gets his first raise (probably in the neighborhood of $2.5m). We'll likely have to cut payroll somewhere to shore up holes in other areas. With Regehr, Myers, Sekera, and Ehrhoff all under contract next season, and McNabb making it clear he should be on the roster--and no shortage of candidates to fill the #6/#7 slots--Leopold could be a guy who could alleviate some salary stress and still bring back a solid return.

We're looking for young centers--prospects or AHLers--or top-60 picks that could later be used as trade bait. We don't need any defensemen, and we don't really need wingers who don't bring high-end ability to the table. While I don't dislike Mason Raymond, our team doesn't need another 40-point winger, especially at LW where we already have Vanek, Ennis, Leino, Gerbe, and Adam fighting for minutes. Schroeder also makes us smaller on a roster that already includes Ennis, Gerbe, and Roy.

This may be a case where the parties are bad trade partners. I think a team like Chicago, who has more of a need for Leopold and has more of the type of assets Buffalo would find attractive, may be a better dance partner for Leopold. I'm sure Buffalo would love to get their hands on Jensen, but I don't see any reason why Vancouver would be looking to trade him, and especially not just for Leopold.

But, just for fun, if we were dealing Leo to Vancouver, I'd offer something like this:

Leopold + 2013 4th (we don't have one this year) for Anton Rodin + 2012 2nd