View Single Post
Old
01-18-2012, 05:29 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Well, the East is pretty much always very weak. When was the last time there were more than 3-4 teams who had any sort of chance? There are as many contenders in the Central Division, if not more, than there are in the Eastern Conference, thanks to the injuries the Pens have suffered.

I'm not anointing the Devils cup contenders. But if they keep Parise, they'll be a playoff team every year as they navigate their own retooling. They'll need to replace the goaltender (not a difficult task), and they'll need to upgrade their blueline (more difficult). Those elements, however, are easier to find than top offense, which they have. So many here were proclaiming them as finished. I don't see that.
I don't know, look at TB this year. They have the offense, or at least DID last season, and now with really shoddy goaltending and defense they're one of the weakest teams in the league. The Devils are treading water with an even goal differential but right now I think it's a toss-up if they sneak into the playoffs or end in 9th. Also, they have less ROW than 4 of the teams right behind them.

It's very possible they do but I think they hit a rough spot once they start playing better teams.