Official Selling, Retooling, Rebuilding Only Thread
View Single Post
01-19-2012, 12:15 AM
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Originally Posted by
1) Those returns are a bit over-evaluated imo.
2) Julien Brisebois: So basically go get ANOTHER guy from Bob's crew for GM? No we need real change at hockey management.
Total absolute change
We need our Peter Chiarelli moment
I think Patrick Roy is ready for such a challenge
and has been GM of the Remparts for many years with continuous success.(Granted Quebec got an advantage attracting big name Europeans players because of the size of the city.) I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he declined multiple NHL level coach jobs: he wants to be GM. Who would want to be coach when there is a high probability you're gonna get canned in the 2-3 first years?
A Peter Chiarelli moment implies that we'd be getting a long serving lieutenant from a team that has a great modern era track record of excellent Management. There are really only 4 guys I'd consider:
- Long serving assistant GM in Nashville, needs no further explanation.
- Assistant GM in Boston, was there pretty much from the beginning of Chiarelli's turnaround of Boston.
- GM of Jokerit. Helped draft Hossa and Havlat in Ottawa as director of player personnel and help build up the Blues as assistant GM and director of scouting. He also worked with Timmins in Ottawa.
- Long time assistant GM in Detroit, 'nuff said.
This is of course the views of an outsider, I'd probably look at more if I was privy to interviews and testaments of other executives.
View Public Profile
Captain Smurf's albums
Find More Posts by Captain Smurf