View Single Post
Old
01-19-2012, 12:15 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
1) Those returns are a bit over-evaluated imo.

2) Julien Brisebois: So basically go get ANOTHER guy from Bob's crew for GM? No we need real change at hockey management. Total absolute change. We need our Peter Chiarelli moment. I think Patrick Roy is ready for such a challenge and has been GM of the Remparts for many years with continuous success.(Granted Quebec got an advantage attracting big name Europeans players because of the size of the city.) I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he declined multiple NHL level coach jobs: he wants to be GM. Who would want to be coach when there is a high probability you're gonna get canned in the 2-3 first years?
A Peter Chiarelli moment implies that we'd be getting a long serving lieutenant from a team that has a great modern era track record of excellent Management. There are really only 4 guys I'd consider:

Paul Fenton - Long serving assistant GM in Nashville, needs no further explanation.
Jim Benning - Assistant GM in Boston, was there pretty much from the beginning of Chiarelli's turnaround of Boston.
Jarmo Kekäläinen - GM of Jokerit. Helped draft Hossa and Havlat in Ottawa as director of player personnel and help build up the Blues as assistant GM and director of scouting. He also worked with Timmins in Ottawa.
Jim Nill - Long time assistant GM in Detroit, 'nuff said.

This is of course the views of an outsider, I'd probably look at more if I was privy to interviews and testaments of other executives.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote