View Single Post
Old
01-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
We would have drafted Brule, not Kopitar.
I don't think so. There was serious talk about us taking Kopitar. That's who I thought we were going to go with.

It's all moot now though right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I agree and not because it's Carey Price, Price has worked out well to this point, but picking a goalie in the top 5 is something I don't agree with at all. THe difference between league average goaltending and very good goaltending just isn't enough. The team itself is more important. I think positional players should be the focus in the first rd. It's disagreeing with the philosophy entirely and nothing against Price.

I don't think it was a monumental mistake though, it's worked out pretty well, but I'm not a fan of picking a goalie, top 5, ever.
As far as I can remember only a few goalies have ever gone top five. Diepietro and Lehtonen who've both been killed by injuries (Diepietro moreso), Roberto Luongo, Curtis Joseph and there were a couple of others who I think turned out to be busts.

Goalies typically don't go top five because a lot of teams are already set in net. Are you going to draft a goalie top five if you have Lundqvist? I don't think so.

At the time we had Theo and that's what made people's head shake. Turns out though that it wasn't a bad move for us after all. And hey, it could've been worse. As that other poster pointed out we might've wound up with Gilbert Brule instead.

You could argue that the best goalies of all-time were mostly drafted late and you'd be right. Those that have been drafted top five though have mostly turned into very good goalies.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 01-19-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote