Thread: Larry Brooks: Sather keeps Avery in limbo
View Single Post
Old
01-19-2012, 11:03 AM
ruckus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
You mean like when you had a big problem with Prust getting more minutes? Yea, that turned out to be a huge mistake last year.

At least back then you had an argument that Avery should be getting significant ice time. Now your argument seems to be that Avery should be the 14th forward, instead of Christensen.

If your willing to accept that he's not good enough to be a top 9 player on this team anymore, then why aren't you willing to accept that the power that be may not want a $2M player taking up space as the 12th forward, or in the press box?
Don't misconstrue things after the fact. I used Prust as a comparison, that was all. If you're discussing ice time it makes complete sense to question why a fourth line player like Prust, whom I love, is getting twice as much ice time as a player with the offensive ability of Avery. That was my point. Avery never got legitimate opportunities under Tortorella. Aside from when he took over for Renney late in the season, because Torts had no choice. It's funny too, because Avery was arguably our best forward in that playoff series against the Caps and was definitely our best player in Game 7.

Also, in every post I've mentioned Mitchell, Christensen, and Rupp. Two of whom are regulars in the lineup. So how has my argument changed?

And when Mike Rupp makes the money he does and no one cares, yeah, Avery making $2 million doesn't matter to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
John Mitchell ATOI 11:21 4G 6A in 26 games. Hrm. Let's pro-rate that for the season: 12.61 G (round it up to 13) and 18.92 A (round that up to 19) and you've got 12 G and 19 A in 82 games. Avery, last year, had 3 goals and 21 assist in 76 games which would translate to 3 G and 22 A in 82 games. 25 points (6 less than Mitchell) and 9 goals less than Mitchell. He'd have roughly 16 goals and 0 assists if you pro-rated this season, which is 15 points less than Mitchell. If you want to play the ice time card, add back in 1:30 for all the time he spent sitting in the box this year (21M) or last year (174M in 76 games = 2.29M/game).

In any event, there isn't much of a difference between what either of these guys brings to this team except that Mitchell doesn't come with all of the extra BS that Sean does and produces points at a better pace.

And, if you think Rupp doesn't bring anything to the table other than the 4 goals, you're clearly not paying attention to all of the people that want NOTHING to do with facing him when he's looking for them. The guy can frighten people. And he's got one more ring than Avery does.
Again, back to the "baggage" excuse. He's done nothing in his tenure as a Ranger. There's no evidence to the contrary that his teammates don't like him. We have plenty of evidence that they do, and none that they don't. So unless you or anyone else who wants to spew the slander about that has anything factual, I'm going to refrain from giving any validation to your thoughts on this topic.

Who exactly is afraid of Mike Rupp? He's gotten into fights with worthless heavyweights this season. So what? How is that a deterrent? All I kept hearing before the season was how he was going to take the load off of Prust. Guess what? Prust fights just as much as he did last season. Do you know why? Because guys like Rupp are completely useless. They don't deter anything because anyone that isn't a worthless heavyweight isn't going to fight them. Prust is the guy who answers the bell for this team. And that has never changed.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote