View Single Post
Old
01-19-2012, 11:22 AM
ADoubleD

vCash: 500
Watching 24/7 I find myself jealous of the Flyers and Rangers. Imagine the difference it would make having Hartnell or Callahan in our top six instead of Stafford and/or Simmonds instead of Boyes in the bottom six. They need more heart and grit from top to bottom. I'm not even talking about fighting or being overly physical I'm talking about taking hits to make plays, going to the dirty areas, and doing the little things to help the team win. Things I don't see Stafford doing too often.

Instead of signing Leino in the offseason they should've gone after guys like Max Talbot and Mike Rupp. Rupp may not be the most talented player, but he's the type of guy who can help a team with good top end talent win. The Sabres need more guys like Rupp, Simmonds, Hartnell and less guys like Boyes, Stafford etc.

This is not to deny that a big part of problem is the lack of center depth and secondary scoring, but I see the lack of guys like those I mentioned above as a big part of the problem as well. Any rebuild they do should be about getting either guys who can be good offensive players now and in the future, and adding those depth guys that help teams win. One is much easier than the other. You can easily find guys like Rupp in the offseason in free agency, on the other hand guys like Hartnell, and top six centers are not so easy to come by.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote