Thread: John Tortorella
View Single Post
Old
01-19-2012, 11:43 AM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
One thing I've been impressed with is how the new defensemen and players from the AHL have transitioned seamlessly onto the team. That's a testament to Torts' system and commitment to defense. The team has been able to be aggressive on the forecheck without sacrificing much defensively.

As for Benoit Allaire, it's tough to tell how much credit to give to him. But I do know that Lundqvist's improvement with his glove the past few years has little to do with him and a lot to do with the fact that Lundqvist changed his glove two seasons ago:

Quote:
In Lundqvist’s first seasons with the Rangers, he used a glove that was deliberately so stiff he could not close it around the puck, think of it as a jai alai catcher. Or another blocker.

“It was like a double blocker,” Lundqvist said. “I could catch some pucks but mostly I used it like a blocker.”

Lundqvist switched to a softer, more flexible glove two seasons ago. Now, the thought of using a stiff glove seems odd to him.

“When I pick up that glove now, it amazes me. It’s really stiff,” Lundqvist said.
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...ogress_so_far/

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote