Thread: Prospect Info: Wheeling Nailers for sale
View Single Post
Old
01-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Solution

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
That's exactly what I was getting at, and you worded it much better than I could.
Fans like a familiar face, and I think part of the reason you see declining numbers is because of the ECHL (for the most part) doesn't give the chance to see a player for more than a season. In Johnstown's history, who I believe holds the record as the longest tenured ECHL team in one city, they only had 36 players who had played more than 3 or more seasons for the team. Considering the team had 619 players pass through their locker room using both AAHL and ECHL numbers, that says a lot about not being able to keep a veteran around for whatever reasons.

I'm sure that number is somewhat skewed due to emergency signings and two-game wonders. That figure of "veterans" might even be high since it qualifies a game played as a season. I know several players have come back as free agents and signed on to play for a weekend before going back into retirement.
Thank you. I have been working on that proposal for a couple of seasons now. It has taken me a long time to try and get it worded well. I can understand that some players leave because they advance themselves either by playing well or going to Europe for more money. But there are always going to be guys who make a life for themselves in an area and want to stay there. What would it hurt to try and add a veteran guy who can represent the team to the community? It would help with recruiting as well as ticket sales.

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote