View Single Post
01-19-2012, 12:39 PM
vCash: 6098

The Bill James Gold Mine/2008, by Bill James: I picked this up for a quarter at a garage sale because while I don't care a whit about Major League baseball's 2007 season, I love what Bill James, whose Baseball Abstracts are legendary and who has worked in an advisory capacity for both the Royals and the Red Sox, does with baseball statistics to reveal the inner secrets of the game. Here's a sample of a few of the fascinating gems that he came up with regarding the 2007 season:

Pitcher Brandon Webb was second in the major leagues in 2007 in Ground Ball outs (309)--yet he was only third on his own team in double play support! The Diamondbacks turned 20 double plays behind Webb, but 22 behind Livan Hernandez and 23 behind Doug Davis.

Through 2007, the last year that the Atlanta Braves were outhomered by their opponents was 1988.

In 2007, Edgar Renteria was the best major league shortstop at making plays up the middle (+18) but the next to worst major league shortstop at going into the hole (-19). The previous season he was, respectively, second best and second worst in the same categories. Go figure.

In 2007, the Orioles were 3-22 (!!) in games where they scored four runs. That's hard to do, isn't it? Most teams that score four runs either broke about even or won more games than they lost.

Toronto's Adam Lind hit 59 ground balls toward right field. 58 of them failed to make it through the infield.

Last edited by kihei: 01-20-2012 at 09:35 AM.