View Single Post
Old
01-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKR View Post
Just like any big business negotiation, you have to pick & choose your battles... Henrique isn't a battle you're going to win, so there's no need to waste the time. Can we please move on now?
How that is even a "battle" is beyond me. Again, you are inquiring about a player's availability. I remember a few years back, Lombardi made a comment about knowing he had a nice stable of prospects because other GM's were always inquiring about them. I can't imagine a GM would ever take offense to another GM asking if a player is available. THat is how business gets done.

I could see a GM being offended about an offersheet or a the threat of one but asking for a fair trade isn't the least bit insulting. Especially when one of us idiots on the internet suggests it. Maybe other team's fans are offended by it but as we've seen with Gretzky and to a much lesser extent, Mike Richards, any player is available for trade. Hell, I remember a lot of GM's saying they were shocked by the Joe Thornton trade and they didn't even know he was available. Obviously somebody had to make that first call and I doubt it was the Bruins GM saying "I need Sturm and Primeau on my team, how do I get them"?