View Single Post
Old
01-19-2012, 02:22 PM
Dfence033

vCash: 500
It doesn't look to be "too much," in the sense of ridiculous hosing over-payment, but for Nashville, I'd take a "lesser" F prospect (Rodin) over the D prospect (Tanev). I'd expect/want Edler, Hodgson, 2012 first, Jensen, Rodin, 2013 first.

Edler has to come back to replace Weber's minutes. Hodgson is their top prospect, and has to be coming this way as well. Jensen and Rodin are solid prospects that would fit right into the Nashville system (especially Rodin), and are #2 and #6 on their prospects chart, respectively. The 2012 and 2013 firsts is still firsts, even if they are 30th overall.

Tanev isn't necessary, and I'm not really that high on him anyway, especially not with the amount of young defensive prospects the Predators already have lurking for spots. I know it's about getting their 3 "top" prospects, but when one of them doesn't fit the system, and another that does is ranked "lower," but would have more of a possible future with the Preds, I target him instead.

Let's also not sell-short the package coming back from Vancouver. Edler is a legit top-3 D on most teams in the league and would at least adequately replace Weber's minutes. Hodgson is their top prospect, and has looked very good at times this year. Jensen and Rodin coming with Hodgson means getting 3 of their top 4 forward prospects (and for a team already stacked up front, makes more sense for them as well), and two late first-rounders. It's a hefty price for Vancouver that they would hate to see go, and I'm sure some Nashville fans would think they'd get more, but it's a great package and I'd be thrilled to see that as the return. Would also open up a wealth of possibilities, including resigned Suter+Edler for cheaper than a Weber+Suter pair would be, allowing them to target a Zach Parise in the off-season as well.

Natural Left-wings: Kostitsyn
Natural Centers: Wilson, Smith, Legwand, Fisher, Spaling, Smithson, Hodgson
Natural Right-wings: Hornqvist, Erat, Halischuk, Tootoo, Yip
Defenseman: Edler, Suter, Blum, Josi, Ellis, Klein, Hillen, Cube

Farm system adds Rodin and Jensen, plus 2 more 1st-round picks. Cap space to add a Parise-level player in the off-season on top. Team doesn't take a substantial hit this season (in my opinion; Hodgson+Edler can replace Weber, as much as we all would hate to think of it), and gets pretty substantially better in the future with two more great F prospects and 2 more first-round picks. Only piece that goes missing from the Predators current roster is Weber, who given the enormity of this package, I'd do this deal, and pretty easily.

Dfence033 is offline   Reply With Quote