View Single Post
Old
12-30-2005, 11:10 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Eager is actually the perfect compliment to Carter. Carter needs a banging winger on his line to help open things up and to drive to the net to pick up rebounds. Carter has a great shot that he can really unleash. Because of his shot (that wrister of his is probably as good as Sakic's), goalies are bound to give up rebounds. The problem is that Carter isn't really a banger. That's where a guy like Eager comes in. Because Eager is fearless and willing to take the body and abuse, he is the perfect guy to go into heavy traffic to get that rebound.

I also have a feeling that Steve Downie will be that other winger on the line when he becomes ready. Two bangers can really free things up for Carter. However, let me state that Steve Downie is more than a banger though. If anyone else has watched the WJC tournament so far, he has been Canada's most important forward. He kills penalties, plays the power play, takes a regular shift, and most importantly (and according to some on here, ironically) he's been our smartest and most effective player. Put Steve on a line with Carter and Eager and he doesn't need to do the beserk stuff that would normally get him thrown out.

As for the other lines in Philadelphia, it will not surprise me if you see Gagne on a line with Richards and Umberger, a third line consisting of Ruzicka/Handzus/Kapanen and a checking line of Radivojevic/McLeod/Ready. I know I have McLeod playing already, but he's the perfect compliment to Keith Primeau. He's big, strong, fast on his skates and could be a real defensive presence. We wouldn't need him to score and any offense he would generate would be a bonus. I can see some big things coming from McLeod as long as we can be patient with him. Considering he's only turning 23, he's probably still a year or two away. Yeah I know, big forwards like him really take their time to develop. However, if he develops anything close to Primeau, we're better off waiting.
Carter is a first-line player, Eager is not... Carter will also need a distributor to truly thrive, someone who can get him the pass in the slot to unleash that wrister.

Downie is probably 2 years away...

I don't think McLeod will ever play a significant role in the NHL... and he isn't going to develop into anything remotely resembling Primeau. Ready will never be a consistent player at the NHL-level for a contender (at 27, he is what he is... solid AHL player).

i'm relatively disappointed in Ruzicka as well, hopefully he picks it up in the second half for the phantoms, 6 goals in 31 games is surprising to me.