View Single Post
Old
01-19-2012, 07:44 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextone View Post
It just boggles the mind how Ballard is unable to play any kind of Top 4 role on this team...he has the skating and can block shots...even if he can't provide offense he could be a serviceable player if he played a simple game of just pushing the puck up to forwards. He clearly has a good first pass I don't know why he's doing too much

If he could play more we could play Bieksa and Salo less, leading to smiles all around
I think the LA game was an aberration. Pretty much the whole team was bad early on, and some of those chances given up by Edler and Bieksa were just as bad, if not worse. Prior to that he'd been playing very solid hockey and had been keeping it simple.

His problem I think is that he wants to do more than just chip it out at certain times, given his puck-rushing and skating abilities. As long as he keeps it simple (although some better forward support would make it easier for him, and the rest of the D too in general) he can earn the coaches' trust. However it remains to be seen if that'll happen 'cos it really would make everyone's lives so much easier if he would prove he was capable of moving up once and for all.

Agree with those saying this is an assessment of where Tanev is at and whether he can play the Top 4 RS D-man. If not then I think MG will try and get someone. We really should be treating Salo as a luxury from now on - can't factor him in at all as it's too risky.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote