View Single Post
Old
01-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Aftcomet*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs430 View Post
Perserverance and a good attitude are your best assets.
Keep working at it, listen to advice that your friends give you.
I was in a similar (but slower) boat as you a few years ago. I was thirty-five when I first tied on a pair of skates and it took me a while. Three years later, I got invited me to play in a Thursday night pick-up.
Still working on all aspects of my game (skating especially), but I've gotten compliments from the guys about my progression.

Good luck.
Keep us apprised.
Thanks. I'm going to work hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth View Post
It really depends on a lot of things, but you're young, so I imagine you'll be able to pick it up quickly. But don't waste your little bit of ice time simply going in circles around the rink, make the most of it. Get your gear on, push yourself out of your comfort zone and try those pivots and force yourself to skate backwards and do a lot of one-foot drills. Find your edges and fall a LOT, then you'll learn a lot faster. Even if you can't do this stuff right away, just by attempting it you're giving your neurons valuable information that they'll build on. Lessons will help, too. Good luck and let us know how you progress!
So I won't look silly wearing everything? I was putting on shin pads to protect my knees today and random people were telling me that nobody would be taking shots at me but I was trying to explain that it was for different reasons.

I think your advice on maximizing my ice time is very good. While I didn't do anything major today I was trying to just get a good feel for the ice. But my next time I'm going to slowly try everything. I'm going to try going backwards slowly. I found some good videos on Youtube from howtohockeydotcom. They show you really good tips and exercises on stopping and going backwards which I'm going to try next time.

I was able to make tight turns, skate almost as fast as anyone (although I chose not to because I was prone to losing my balance bad at any time and I didn't know how to stop), do crossovers, and zig zag. I can't wait for the next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexXed View Post
I started playing at 20 too and you might feel like you have started late but there are still plenty of good times ahead of you in hockey - just keep up the practice. Before anything you should really check that your equipment does actually fit perfectly. When I first started I thought that I had the 'perfect' fit when in fact after much research I found out I had been skating in a whole size too big and with no arch support for 5 years... properly fitted skates are essential - tie those laces up tight to get good support. Your toes should be just touching or just shy of the toe cap and the skate should accommodate your arch and instep well. Width should be proper so your foot isn't moving around too much or sore from tightness. Your heel shouldn't be lifting with the laces done up either.

If it starts to get really sore then stop and go again later. It takes a while to break in skates and the recovery time from seriously sore feet will slow down your progress overall. Work on separate areas like only crossovers instead of combining everything in one session as it's better to become adept at that one thing before moving on. You will learn faster this way too. I know I wiped out big time when learning how to stop but just take it slow at first and then increase speed as you feel more confident. Don't do it skating towards the boards fast when starting out! Focus on technique before going all out. When I noticed my balance was put forward from the middle of my feet just before I stopped I felt more confident doing it:

[=====|===] -->

You will have several 'eureka' moments when you find out the best way to do things.

You'll be able to do all those things in time. The key is practice! When I got in to hockey I didn't even know how to skate but I was determined enough to go to the rink 2-3 times a week for 2 months to get better. My friend went with me which was good of him but even if he didn't I would have gone myself. The motivation was that I just wanted to play hockey eventually. At the end of those 2 months I could do (both lefts and rights) stops, crossovers, skate backwards and backwards crossovers all to a reasonable level. Then as I skated more in another month it all became a little more refined. Don't worry about being embarrassed, just get right in to it. Some guys will give you pointers here and there too. Don't ever be discouraged by some guys who never learned what the point was of playing team sports at a non professional level. There are some in every league.

Lessons are a good way to get proper technique down. Once you have got that you can then practice what you've learned by yourself. Things like your posture and stance are important and can be hard to adjust to if bad habits already exist. You stamina will improve over time just from going skating more and more. Once you start playing games and skating say twice a week you will be fine. At the start of new seasons everyone is out of shape anyway!

This is the best thing you need to get started. This is all I had too when I started out. Learning to play hockey was one of the best decisions of my life and I just wish I had done it way earlier. I haven't taken a break since I started 20 and now I am 29. You still have a tonn of fun ahead of you and once you get to new levels you will be giving pointers to new skaters in no time.
Thank you for this post. I've made sure my skates fit perfectly. My toes just brush the end. I actually have flat feet so my arches hurt because the support was too good

Last edited by Aftcomet*: 01-19-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Aftcomet* is offline   Reply With Quote