View Single Post
Old
01-20-2012, 09:20 AM
rp2323

vCash: 500
Hey..

through to early last month I was only a 36 year old casual skater who had been on the ice maybe a handful of times in the past 10 years.

In Dec. I picked up some skates to get some time in at the local outdoor rink (lucky to live in Winnipeg.. I guess!) and started skating. Could only snowplow stop / skate in circles etc...

Skating 3 days a week for a couple of weeks later I taught myself how to stop well on my strong side, basic backwards, pivots, and some stick handling "Skills".

Have now purchased the gear, enrolled in a powerskating course and gone through the first few sessions. I am likely one of the worst skaters in the program. Everyone in the class has been supportive, i'm having a blast and i am picking up a ton of pointers on stance, posture etc... to take to my outdoor skating time. You tube advise was good... but for my learning process there is nothing better than watching the instructor through a drill, attempt it yourself, and watch your peers perform.

At the end of our class we have a 10min full ice scrimmage and i am pretty useless and feel like a pylon but am improving weekly. It's been a good opportunity to safely skate (and fall) in a hockey setting. Through this course hope to be comfortable enough the get into some pick up sessions.

Make the best use of your time to get comfortable on the ice. Get into a beginner hockey class where you can comfortably skate and learn with your full gear. Keep at it and I'll bet you will be surprised how quickly you pick it up!

rp2323 is offline   Reply With Quote