View Single Post
Old
01-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
A few things that rub me the wrong way with this:

- Gionta was/is far and away our best scorer in terms of results. He got the job done. Cammy didn't (besides the playoffs, but you can't always cling to that argument). Cammy was *supposed* to be the better scorer, but Gionta showed just what hard work and intensity can do: get you results. Cammy wasn't willing to work for his results, and it was reflected in his middling statline (unacceptable for a player of his supposed calibre/paycheck).
Cammy is our club's best scorer and easily has the most upside. Bad year? Yes. Trade value lower than it should be? Yes. Zero trade value? Absolutely not. There's no way on God's green earth that there isn't a club out there trying to make the playoffs who wouldn't be interested in him. We'd probably have to take some salary coming back but that's fine as long as we're getting back good prospects and a 1st.

He was a valuable trading asset that we squandered for a lateral move and middling prospects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
- Bourque is a few months older than Cammy. So age is a non-issue.

- Bourque, like Gionta, has produced at a higher clip than Cammy has. And he plays a physical game. And he's cheaper.

You're criticizing the move by looking at it through the "potential"/what if? lens. There are no ifs when it comes to pro sports, though. Either you get the job done or you don't, and Cammy didn't.

Though I don't like the term on Bourque's contract. And I question his ability to maintain his level of play over the duration of it.
You're totally missing the point. Age IS an issue. Why are we trading away one 30 year old for another? We shouldn't have been looking at Bourque in the first place. We should be focusing on prospects not vets. We should be SELLING.

PG was desperate to save his job so he made a desperate move. Same as he did with Kaberle.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote