View Single Post
Old
01-20-2012, 01:41 PM
chip chipperson*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
Yes, winning the cup and,.... nothing else you can think of?

Frankly, I can't think of anything else either that merits a banner. I believe the highest Richter ever came to winning any kind of trophy at all was 5th place in the voting for Vezina. He had several good seasons..... but the bulk of his career was average, at best.

The truth of the matter is that Richter's banner is a result of a myopic decision-maker in the organization. It's the same mentality of Summit Series enthusiasts who continually campaign for Paul Henderson's inclusion into the HOF.

Nope. And the same would be true for Messier.

Leetch is the only member of that '94 team who would have been a no-brainer for a banner. Someone who would have become a Ranger legend even w/o a Stanley Cup ring. With that said, I don't know how this thread turned into a Leetch vs. Park debate. Both of those guys were great in their own way. Both of them were legends. I merely thought that since Park does not have his number retired anywhere, it would be nice to at least have a team like the Rangers do so, which would promote his accomplishments to the younger generation of fans who are not familiar with him.

See my Richter comments above.

I'm not singling out Worsley as being more worthy. It's just that my personal knowledge of hockey history going wayyyy back isn't so in-depth. I'm sure that those fans who are experts of those early Ranger Stanley Cup winning teams have very good choices in mind for players worthy of having their a rafter banner hung in their honor.
richter led the rangers in wins, was a franchise goalie and was huge in 94, helping deliever a cup to an original 6 team that only had 3 and hadn't won in 54 years. he is a no brainer to get his number retired.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote