View Single Post
Old
01-20-2012, 02:56 PM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
What more could Jacques Martin have done in his 2+ seasons in Montreal? Should he have made it to the Finals in Year 1? Should he have taken the Habs past Game 7 vs the eventual Stanley Cup champs in Year 2 (don't forget the B's only one won game in regulation in that Habs-Bruins first round series)? Should we have been closer than 2 points out of a playoff spot when he was relieved of his duties in Year 3 with this Bad News Bears hockey club?

I really don't know what else Martin could have done with this team. His preparation and structured defensive system were perfect for this weak team. It gave us a chance to win every game against every team. I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would say he wasn't right for this team. Like every coach, he did things that not everyone agrees with but he got the best possible results he could get with this sub-mediocre team.
No need to beat up Martin since he is gone so I will just give a couple of top line faults of JM.

With the size of this team, we should not have been playing a dump and chase.

With the skaters on this team, we should not have been sitting on leads and playing passively.

The X's and O's of Martin shows that he is a good coach and understands the game of hockey. His main flaw is that he pushed his systems onto the team instead of adapting his system to the team that he had to work with. That and his reluctance to have this team play aggressive hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
What reality? The reality in your mind?

Because every shred of evidence points to the contrary, I.E that was the best coach we've had in years.
Martin was better than Carbo. That still does not amount to being anything to brag about.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 01-20-2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: merge
SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote