View Single Post
Old
01-20-2012, 08:39 PM
habfaninvictoria

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Sorry but again an opinion that prooves that you don't understand how it's working here. Nordiques will NOT divide the people. You'll not only have real Nordiques fans who will gladly come over and bash the Habs. You'll have Habs fans really dissapoitned if the Nords are doing better and they can't shut them up. And then you'll have Habs fans where their only fun will be to bash the Habs and mostly if the Nords are doing better. The circus will be even stronger. People who wish the Nords to come back will be up for an incredibly rude awakening.

As far as the french angle, well, again, if you would have had a management who would have recognized that, there would not have been a circus to begin with. The day you have a management who frankly does it on purpose, well THEY become responsible for it. They decided to show everybody how it has to be done....and now they'll be shown the door leaving a big mess behind them. Besides, people do talk about it from time to time, but having more franco players were not even a discussion at this point prior to the Cunneyworth hiring. It THEN become one when people realized that NEVER in the history of the team, did we have such a few representation of local players. So Gauthier and Co eradicate the local players and now by not keeping Martin in, did it for the coach. Add the simple fact that we are almost as bad as the last 90's and you have the perfect recipe for failure.

So yes, RDS aren't happy because of his comments. Just like tons of people who were bashing Lats and Co for their comments. That's called the 2 solitudes going at it. This is what is special about this province whether people like it or not. It's the constant "battle" between 2 nations with what is great about this (this board for example filled with francos and anglos) and the bad....And when you have to manageTHE most important thing in this province aside from Star Académie, you need to be aware of this situation. Is it harder than some other teams? Yes. But is it possible to deal with it? Absolutely. With the right people. Not the ones we have now.
You seem like an intelligent guy, but, with all due respect, it's attitudes like yours that fuel the fire. I lived in Montreal for 10 years, and do, in fact understand how it works in Quebec. I lived in Montreal during the height of the battle of quebec. I lived through the incredible comeback series against the Nordiques in 93. I know first hand the passion of the rivalry. Yes we will be incessantly bashed by Nordique fans, many of whom would rather eat cockroaches than cheer for the habs and as a result cheer for Boston or Toronto. In fact I believe many of these Nord fans revel in the circus they are freely able to create surrounding the habs. The resentment and contempt they (nordique Fans) held for the Canadiens seems all to familiar in the incessant attacks on all things regarding our team.

This however is not as much about the fans as the media that purport to represent those fans. If you think for one second that RDS won't focus a large part of their resource to covering the Nords you are wrong. Given a choice between embracing a QC team that can be built and marketed as francophone and the habs who are clearly vilified as being too anglo-centric its a no brainer. The rivalry will be great for both teams.

It makes absolutely no sense to disqualify over 80 per cent of qualified applicants for a job simply because they don't speak french. Management indeed caused the circus, but it was well under way before RC was ever made coach. I find it incredibly insulting as a fan of the team that my opinion doesn't matter because I'm not french, so I couldn't possibly understand the miopic, insular, insecure anglophobe minority that claim to be a fan of the team. If quebecors need a team to be francophone to justify their phobia and ego then let it be the Nordique, not MY HABS.

MY HABS were coached and managed by anglophones long before I was born and were very successful. We had the advantage that Richard and Beliveau would never be able to play for any other team, nor would they dream it. Bourque, Lemieux, Giroulx, Lecavalier, St. Louis never had a chance to play for us, and probably not at desire... who needs the grief.

Spacek has absolutely nothing to do with the 2 solitudes. Most of the team doesn't. I had a french friend today tell me that Serge Savard was the best GM ever of the habs.... by what measuring stick... the fact that he was the first Franco GM of the modern era.... how bout the fact that he single handedly dismantled the captaincy of the team by trading 5 captains. The captain of the team used have a routine for warmup that had been passed down from captain to captain... this disappeared... ya he was a great GM alright. He certainly ushered in the modern era. Chelios for Savard... priority immediately evident and we've not been the same since.

We need the right people, you are correct... unfortunately the right people aren't always french.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote