View Single Post
Old
01-20-2012, 10:55 PM
Velociraptor

vCash: 500
The Australia Mighty Roos are pleased to select...

defenseman, Denis Potvin

Position: Defenseman
HT/WT: 6'0", 205 lbs
Handedness: Left
Born: October 29, 1953 in Hull, QC

- inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1991.
- 4-time Stanley Cup Champion (1980, 1981, 1982, 1983)
- 3-time Norris Trophy recipient (1976, 1978, 1979)
- Played in the NHL All-Star Game 9 times (1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1981, 1983, 1984, 1988)
- 5-time member of NHL First All-Star Team (1975, 1976, 1978, 1979, 1981)
- 2-time member of NHL Second All-Star Team (1977, 1981)
- Won the Calder Memorial Trophy (1974)
- scored 310 goals and 742 assists for 1,052 points (at the time, the NHL career leader in all those categories for defensemen) in 1,060 games, adding 1,356 penalty minutes.
- scored 56 goals and 108 assists for 164 points in 185 games, adding 253 penalty minutes.

Top 10 Finishes:
Assists - 4x (5, 5, 6, 10)
Points - 2x (5, 7)
Plus/Minus - 3x (2, 5, 6)
Powerplay Goals - 1x (2)
Penalty Minutes - 1x (7)
Shorthanded Goals - 1x (5)
Game-Winning Goals - 1x (9)

Voting Records:

Norris Voting Record: (had some pretty tough contemporaries to beat out, including Bobby Orr)

1st (75-76), 1st (77-78), 1st (78-79), 2nd (74-75), 2nd (80-81), 3rd (76-77), 4th (83-84), 7th (73-74), 7th (79-80), 8th (81-82)

Hart Voting Record:

2nd (75-76), 4th (78-79), 7th (74-75), 7th (77-78), 9th (76-77), 9th (79-80)

Regular Season Scoring: (among defensemen)

1st (75-76), 1st (77-78), 1st (78-79), 2nd (76-77), 2nd (74-75), 2nd (80-81), 3rd (83-84), 5th (73-74), 7th (84-85), 11th (81-82)

Quotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Torrey, former Islanders GM
Potvin was the foundation of our Stanley Cup-winning teams,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Potvin, on his playstyle
There were a couple of key elements to my game. I worked on passing the puck. That was as important to me as developing my shot and probably became my most valuable asset. I had a good wrist shot, and I was taught that shooting and passing were the same. But the most fun I had was hitting. I enjoyed the contact, and hockey provided me with a lot of opportunities
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Potvin, on being compared to Bobby Orr
I'm not Bobby Orr and I know it, you can't compare us anyway because out styles are different. I can't skate as well as Bobby, but I feel there are a couple of other things I do better - like hitting. That's a big part of my game, I just hope I can accomplish some of the things Bobby has done.
Legends of Hockey

Quote:
The New York Islanders drafted Denis Potvin first overall in 1973 to serve as the foundation of their developing expansion team. He surpassed all expectations and became the first NHL defenseman to score 1,000 career points, all while functioning as the cornerstone of the franchise's four consecutive Stanley Cup championships from 1980 to 1983. Potvin's wealth of natural talent allowed him to jump into the offensive rush while serving as a tough physical presence in his own end of the rink. He was one of the most complete blueliners to ever step onto the ice. A less discussed facet of Potvin's game was his mean streak. Opposing forwards learned quickly that they were better served avoiding confrontations with one of the NHL's lesser-known tough guys.
Quote:
As the highly touted first pick in the 1973 Amateur Draft, Potvin quickly made his presence felt in the NHL. He amassed 54 points in 1973-74 while displaying the confidence of a ten-year veteran. Potvin was the obvious choice in the Calder Trophy voting at the conclusion of the season. That year he also lived out a dream by playing with his brother XXXX, who remained with the club for nearly five years. Potvin emerged as one of the leaders of a rapidly improving Islanders squad that reached the Stanley Cup semifinals in only its third season.
Quote:
Following the 1975-76 campaign, Potvin was awarded the Norris Trophy, an honour he also received in 1978 and 1979. He experienced his most productive offensive output in the last of those years with 101 points. Between 1980 and 1983, he captained New York when they became only the second team in NHL history to win the Stanley Cup four times in succession (Montreal did it twice). His overtime goal in the 1980 finals against Philadelphia gave his team the momentum and confidence it needed to win its first title. Potvin's top post-season output occurred in 1980-81, when he recorded 25 points in 18 games.
Quote:
The leadership qualities demonstrated by Potvin, along with his exceptional talent at both ends of the ice, placed him in a category reserved for only a handful of NHL defensemen. The Ottawa 67s hosted a special gala in his honour and raised his number to the rafters of the Ottawa Civic Center. Following a game on March 31, 1988, a cheering Nassau Coliseum audience paid homage to his career when his number 5 sweater was retired. Potvin was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1991 and the ceremony was held in his hometown of Ottawa for the first time.
Greatest Hockey Legends

Quote:
Denis Potvin was the anchor of the New York Islanders franchise and dynasty.
Quote:
His unbelievable strength, his fearless hitting and offensive awareness won him the Calder trophy, three Norris trophies, seven all star nods, and four consecutive Stanley Cups. One of the last great hip-checkers, he was a hard-hitting defensive stalwart. His intelligence and patience quarterbacked the power play and the offense. He was a natural leader, captaining the Isles during their great dynasty.
Quote:
He came across as extremely self confident, some would say arrogant which hurts him in talks of all time greats. In the 1976 Canada Cup he was outspoken about Bobby Orr getting all the attention when he felt he was playing just as well. And when he prematurely retired in 1988 he said he had "nothing left to prove" after 15 seasons.
Quote:
When he was a junior hockey star, he was already being labeled as the game's next Bobby Orr. The comparisons were justifiable, as Potvin bettered many of Orr's OHL records. Potvin justified the comparisons though. He broke all of Bobby Orr's goal and point records, although has since been passed by the likes of Paul Coffey and Ray Bourque. He finished with 310 goals, 742 assists and 1052 points. He was the first defenseman to record 1,000 career points.
Quote:
Potvin epitomized the NY Islanders. He, like his team, could play any way you wanted. Rough, physical defensive hockey; fast paced, finesse skills match; or a combination of both. This makes Denis Potvin one of the greatest and most complete players to ever grace a sheet of ice
Who's Who in Hockey

Quote:
Along with Bobby Orr, Larry Robinson and Serge Savard, Denis Potvin ranked among the foremost defensemen of the modern era.

He could play offense with the best of them. His bodychecking was scary to opponents, and his knowledge of the game nonpareil. If not the fact for his coach, Al Arbour, demanded that Potvin concentrate as much on defense as he did on attack, Denis's point totals would have reached record-breaking levels.

As Orr's career came to a close, Potvin began compiling the impressive accomplishments for what he had hoped for. A perennial All-Star following his rookie season, Denis was voted the NHL's best defenseman in 1976, 1978, and 1979.

... Potvin's defensive abilities were overshadowed by his scoring feats.

... In the view of some critics, Potvin was the most complete defenseman of the post-expansion era, and a primary leader - as captain of Islanders teams that won four Stanley Cups from 1980 through 1983.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey's Most Wanted: The Top 10 Book of Wicked Slapshots, Bruising Goons by Floyd Conner
In 1987, Denis Potvin became the first NHL defenseman to score 1,000 points in a career. Potvin played on four Stanley Cup Championship teams with the New York Islanders. A great checker and an excellent passer, Potvin won three Norris Trophies.

Last edited by Velociraptor: 03-20-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote