View Single Post
Old
01-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Roulin

vCash: 500
Some interesting stuff from an interview with a McKeen's/OHL scout.

On Galchenyuk:

There is speculation that he may return at the end of February as he is rehabbing his knee twice a day and making special trips to London for treatment.

On Gaunce and Faksa:

Brendan Gaunce would be the next best forward available, but Radek Faksa is not that far off. Gaunce offers many intangibles but he is also inconsistent and needs to work harder away from the puck. He has all the attributes that NHL teams covet and will undoubtedly be a better pro than he is a junior as he grows into his body and adds strength. Gaunce is a projection pick that teams will need to be patient with however he does have the size and hockey sense to be a difference maker. Faksa approaches the game a little bit differently than Gaunce in that he uses his size down low to make plays. I draw the comparison of a young Tomas Holmstrom when I watch him play as he does so many little things well in traffic and his board play is exceptional.

Gaunce would have to play in your top six for you to get the maximum return on investment. In all likelihood he is a top 15 pick at this point and teams drafting a player in that range will look for him to centre one of their top two lines and be a PP player. Gaunce is incredibly gifted with the puck and understands his positioning in the offensive zone. He reads and reacts to plays and anticipates better than his peers. His only issue is his skating at this point however if NHL teams can not make a player bigger, stronger and faster with various off-ice programs designed to improve foot speed and conditioning than they are not doing their job.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/201...e-guru_19.html

I've been arguing against those who rank Galchenyuk in the top 5 without him playing a game this season. However, if he comes back early and shows progression, I could get on board. At least it would add some depth to the top 10.