View Single Post
Old
01-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Totally the opposite. I was lucky enough to witness all those good years from the late 60s through the 70s, and I have no problem accepting that times have changed. I've adjusted my expectations to reflect 2012, not 1975. Today's NHL is not built for dynasties, it's built to prevent them. Obviously I want the Habs to win their 25th Cup, but with 30 teams all separated by slim margins of talent and goals, vaulting over the other 29 teams is harder than ever. All the talent and coaching in the world guarantees you'll contend, nothing more. I'll be happy once the Habs are back amongst those contending teams. If they don't win the Cup then, well, at least I'll be satisfied knowing that players and management did their best and we iced the best team we could.

The good 'ol days were great and I was lucky to live through 'em, but the game has moved on, and so have I.
There used to be only one dynasty at a time.

In today's NHL, there are 2-3 at the same time. NJ, Detroit, Colorado were modern day dynasties.

When people speak of getting back on top, that's what they mean.

BUT, times have changed since some more. The new teams that could have gone down that pat are Chicago and Pittsburgh however Chicago made some terrible cap decisions and ****ed up and Pittsburgh has had incredibly bad luck with injuries to key players.

In truth, no one expects the habs to win 4 cups in a row. They certainly expect excellence in the regular season however. That's all you can expect. Over the course of 82 games, an excellent team will show its true colors. Then they have a shot at success in the playoffs. They might lose once there, but finishing 6th to 10th only shows mediocrity. If you're happy with that that's fine but I don't think you can say those who aren't are being unreasonable.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote