View Single Post
Old
01-21-2012, 09:03 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Maybe...maybe not. Only time will tell. Having them to deal for something else may have been beneficial but there's no guarantee that giving Hamhuis 5 mil a year is good enough to get him to sign away from Vancouver. It's impossible to tell. The team did what it had to do to address an obvious need that is still more important than forward depth in getting a top end puck-moving d-man that can even play against top competition. That's why they were after Hamhuis in the first place.

They still have enough good prospects to make a trade for what they want. That's all that matters. If they were looking for something like another top d-man, they would be in trouble but they're not. They're looking for someone who will fit on their 3rd line...maybe a second line acquisition. That doesn't require more than what they have.
Re: the goalie part (forgot to respond to it in my last post) I was wrong - thought we drafted JP Anderson, but he was signed.

We're getting really close to where trading the picks will start hurting us. 1st, 2nd or 3rd rounders take about 3 years to arrive - which would be right when we would need them to replace parts of te big forwards. It's not a big deal, but it could create a problem if we still cannot sign UFAs. (some of these picks will have top-6 potential)

I'm beginning to think that getting one forward at the deadline won't be enough. Maybe it's been so long since Havlat has played (or been effective) that I'm forgetting how good he is (so we could get by without two), but we still need at least one solid 3rd liner. Two new forwards would be ideal. Shipping out Mitchell and Handzus would be the best way to do it. We can move Pavelski back to center again like we did last year.