View Single Post
01-22-2012, 06:09 AM
Snubbed Again
vCash: 500
With the 21st pick, the Seattle Metropolitans select Patrick Roy.

Regular Season: 1029 Games, 551-315-131, 2.54 GAA, .910 SV%, 66 SO
Playoffs: 247 Games, 151-94, 2.30 GAA, .918 SV%, 23 SO

Stanley Cup Champion (1986, 1993, 1996, 2001)
Vezina Trophy (1989, 1990, 1992)
Conn Smythe Trophy (1986, 1993, 2001)
William M. Jennings Trophy (1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2002)
1st All-Star Team Selection (1989, 1990, 1992, 2002)
2nd All-Star Team Selection (1988, 1991)
All-Star Game Participant (1988, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003)
1st NHL All-Rookie Team Selection (1986)

Top-5 in Wins (1989, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003)
Top-5 in GAA (1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, 2002)
Top-5 in SV% (1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1997, 2002)
Top-5 in Shutouts (1988, 1989, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1997, 2002)

* Bold refers to years that Roy led the category.

Playoff Accomplishments

Stanley Cup Winner (1986, 1993, 1996, 2001)
Conn Smythe Winner (1986, 1993, 2001)
Led in Wins (1986, 1993, 1996, 2001)
Led in GAA (1989, 1993, 2001)
Led in SV% (2001)
Led in Shutouts (1986, 1996, 1997, 2001)

Holds National Hockey League record for most regular-season wins by a goaltender (484).
Holds National Hockey Leauge record for most most 30-or-more-win seasons by a goaltender (11).
Holds National Hockey League career postseason record for most games played by a goaltender (219).
Holds National Hockey League career postseason record for most wins (137).
Holds National Hockey League career postseason record for most minutes (13545).
Holds National Hockey League career postseason record for most shutouts (19).
Shares National Hockey League single-season record for most postseason shutouts (4), 2000.
Shares National Hockey League single-season postseason record for most wins (16), 1993.
Shares National Hockey League single-season postseason record for most wins (16), 1996.
Shares National Hockey League single-season postseason record for most wins (16), 2001.
Shares National Hockey League record for most consecutive postseason wins (11), 1993.
Became National Hockey League's all-time playoff win leader with his 89th win vs. 7-0 victory over Chicago, April 24, 1997.
Became youngest goaltender to record 400 victories (33 years), February 5, 1999.
Recorded 15th career National Hockey League postseason shutout (2-0 victory over Dallas), tying Hall-of-Famer Clint Benedict.
On November 14, 2001, Roy and the Avalanche defeated the Minnesota Wild 1-0 at the Pepsi Center for his 200th victory with the Colorado franchise. In the process, Roy became the first goaltender to win 200 games with two separate franchises (including 289 wins with Montreal).
On June 7, 2001, Patrick blanked the New Jersey Devils (4-0 win, 24 saves) in Game Six of the Stanley Cup Finals, becoming the thirteenth goaltender in National Hockey League history to record four shutouts in one postseason.
Holds Colorado Avalanche franchise all-time record for most games played by a goaltender (352).
Holds Colorado Avalanche franchise all-time record for most wins by a goaltender (195).
Holds Colorado Avalanche franchise all-time record for most shutouts (23).
Holds Colorado Avalanche franchise all-time record for lowest goals-against average (2.39).
Youngest player (20 years) to win the Conn Smythe Trophy, 1986.
Tied Colorado Avalanche franchise postseason record with 31 penalty minutes at Detroit, April 1, 1998.

Voting Records

1986: 9th (0.01)
1987: 10th (0.02)
1988: 8th (0.08)
1989: 1st (0.83)
1990: 1st (0.87)
1991: 2nd (0.42) - Winner was Ed Belfour
1992: 1st (0.86)
1993: 6th (0.03)
1994: 3rd (0.26) - Winner was Dominik Hasek
1996: 9th (0.04)
1997: 3rd (0.19) - Winner was Dominik Hasek
1998: 5th (0.04)
1999: 8th (0.01)
2000: 7th (0.04)
2001: 5th (0.13)
2002: 2nd (0.70) - Winner was Jose Theodore
2003: 4th (0.11)

1992: 2nd - Winner was Mark Messier
1997: 8th
2002: 2nd - Winner was Jose Theodore

All-Star Team:

1987: 4th (0.11)
1988: 2nd (0.20) - Behind Grant Fuhr
1989: 1st (0.92)
1990: 1st (0.97)
1991: 2nd (0.41) - Behind Ed Belfour
1992: 1st (0.93)
1993: 7th (0.01)
1994: 3rd (0.32) - Behind Dominik Hasek and John Vanbiesbrouck
1996: 8th (0.00)
1997: 3rd (0.18) - Behind Dominik Hasek and Martin Brodeur
1998: 6th (0.00)
1999: 7th (0.01)
2001: 4th (0.15)
2002: 1st (0.75)
2003: 6th (0.04)

Inducted into HHOF (2006)
Has number retired by the Colorado Avalanche, Montreal Canadiens and Team Canada.
Was ranked #5 in The Hockey News’ The Top 60 Since 1967 – The Best Players of the Post Expansion Era

Rated #2 in Hockey Stars Presents "The Top 50 Netminders in Pro Hockey", November 1993.
Named best goaltender, The Sporting News 1994-95 Hockey Yearbook.
Named best reflexes among goaltenders, The Sporting News 1994-95 Hockey Yearbook.
Named second-best glove hand, The Sporting News 1994-95 Hockey Yearbook.
Named third-best player to build a team around, The Sporting News 1994-95 Hockey Yearbook.
Rated #1 in Hockey Stars Presents "The Top 50 Netminders in Pro Hockey", November 1994.
Rated #3 in Hockey Stars Presents "The Top 50 Netminders in Pro Hockey", November 1995.
Voted Denver's Top Athlete in a Denver Post reader poll, 1997.
In The Hockey News 1997-98 Yearbook, was the only goaltender named "a franchise player".
Longest Win Streak: 11 games (January 12 to February 7, 1999).
Longest Unbeaten Streak: 17 games (January 28 to April 1, 1989 (14w3t), and January 30 to March 24, 1994 (13w4t)).
Longest Shutout Streak (regular season): 168 minutes, 47 seconds (February 1 to February 7, 1990).
Most Saves, Game: 51 (2-2 tie at Toronto), December 10, 1997.
Currently holds an eight-game Stanley Cup Finals winning streak.
Roy will not skate over the blue/red lines on the ice, writes the names of his children on his stick before every game, keeps the pucks from his current season's shutouts in his locker, and tapes the knob of his stick with exactly sixty revolutions (one for each minute in a regulation game).
In 1986, Patrick became the youngest starting goaltender to win the Stanley Cup.
In the first round of the 1994 playoffs, Roy came down with appendicitis and missed the third game of the series vs. Boston. Roy convinced doctors to let him return for Game Four and led the Canadiens to a 5-2 victory, stopping 39 shots.
On May 25, 2002, Patrick passed Mark Messier as the all-time leader in National Hockey League postseason with his 237th game. In the same game, Patrick tied the NBA's Kareem-Abdul Jabaar for the greatest number of postseason games played in a "major" North American professional sport.

What do the Experts Say?

Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
Patrick Roy was the first wave of the new breed of goaltenders to emerge from Quebec, helping establish that province as the dominant training ground for that position. Confident and quirky, Patrick developed a style that saw him become the winningest goaltender in the history of the National Hockey League......In his rookie season of 1985-86, he played 47 games and took over the starter's role when the playoffs arrived. By that point in the season, Roy could not be beaten. Montreal won an improbable Stanley Cup in 1986 and Patrick Roy was named recipient of the Conn Smythe Trophy for his outstanding playoff play. Roy's heroics in the 1986 playoffs were celebrated all over Montreal. He was dubbed 'Saint Patrick' for his play, but now was expected to consistently keep up the level of play to those high standards, even though the team around him was struggling. In ensuing years, Patrick won 30 games, but it was not until 1993 that he was able to win another Stanley Cup for Montreal. Again, Roy won the Conn Smythe for his remarkable play in 1993.......
Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier
He imposed his style on the game, and legions of hockey fans and goalies everywhere were grateful. It is not just that his method was effective, that the revolutionary quick drop-n-slide of a pad could stone the wickedest snap shot. Roy's way was also fun, dramatic, cocky, marvelous, at times even beautiful. Far beyond the statistics, Patrick Roy entertained us and thrilled us while he emerged so dazzlingly as the best.

Many of hockey's historical experts will tell you that Patrick Roy is the greatest goaltender of all time. With all due respect to the likes of Terry Sawchuk, Jacques Plante, Glenn Hall and Dominik Hasek, the stats are convincing.

Roy retired in 2003 as the goaltending leader in regular season games played (1,029), minutes played (60,235), career wins (551), and most career 30-win seasons (13). He won three Vezina trophies, five Jennings trophies, and six All Star nominations. He had a career .910 save percentage and 2.54 GAA, not to mention 66 career shutouts. He is the only goalie in NHL history to win over 200 regular season games with two different teams.

But forget about all the numbers. Unlike many goalies, Patrick Roy's greatness was not about numbers. His greatness lies in moments, in memories.

Most of those memories came in playoff competition. The only numbers Roy cares about are his four Stanley Cup rings, two with Montreal and two with Colorado.

While he was very good in the regular season, it was in the playoffs that St. Patrick worked his miracles.

Again the statistics are all on his side. He owns records for most career playoff games played by a goaltender (247), minutes played (15,209), most career playoff wins (151), and most career playoff shutouts (23).

To say he was instrumental in each championship is an understatement. He was the first three-time winner of the Conn Smythe Trophy as the playoff's most valuable player.

The Canadiens were ecstatic to once again have a French Canadian superstar. Despite not having the same caliber of previous Montreal teams, Roy took the proverbial torch from the likes of Rocket Richard, Jean Beliveau and Guy Lafleur and carried Montreal's Stanley Cup hopes on his solitary back.

Roy set a record during the postseason with 10 straight overtime wins to capture Montreal's most unexpected Stanley Cup championship in modern times. Needless to say, Roy was once again name the Conn Smythe Trophy winner. His performance that post season may have been the best individual playoffs in hockey history.

In 2001 Roy was at his best once again, leading the Avalanche to their second Stanley Cup championship and Roy's fourth. He was also awarded the Conn Smythe Trophy for a remarkable third time, and therefore cementing his reputation as the greatest clutch goalie in hockey history.

Although he smirkingly tries to avoid the topic, Roy was one of the few players who really changed the face of hockey.

Firstly, there was his trademark equipment adjustments. Many will credit, or blame, Roy for the NHL's need to crackdown on goaltending equipment by the turn of the century. Roy was known not only to experiment with big padding, but he also liked to wear a grossly oversized jersey. The idea was that while crouching down, his untucked-in-the-back jersey would catch anything that would go through his legs. Others claimed Roy tried to use webbing in his underarms to catch pucks. Roy also experimented with large catching gloves, and cleverly was the first goalie to specifically paint his goalie pads so that the padding nearest to his 5-hole was white. Roy knew that shooters often only have a split second to get off a shot, and this would create an illusion of an opening that did not really exist.

Secondly, Roy perfected the butterfly style of goaltending. Glenn Hall introduced it in the 1950s and 1960s, and Tony Esposito used it with great fanfare in the 1970s, but it was not until Roy's influence that it became the predominant if not only school of goalie thought even until this day.
Originally Posted by Montreal Canadiens: Our History
On November 22, 2008, it may have been 13 years since Patrick Roy last brought Canadiens fans to their feet, but once St. Patrick made his grand entrance at the Bell Centre, it felt like only yesterday.

All is forgiven. The king has returned to his throne.

As if there wasn’t enough drama leading in to the retirement of his trademark No. 33, Roy left no doubt that he was home for good.

After having left Montreal by the backdoor back in 1995, Roy made certain his return would see him walk in the front door, literally. Roy’s royal entrance saw him file into the Bell Centre from outside on De La Gauchetiere Street, surrounded by astonished fans going through the turnstiles themselves.

Following his dramatic walk through the concourse, Roy weaved his way down through the stands before reaching the red carpet that awaited him on the ice. What followed was a lengthy standing ovation that seemed to even catch a visibly emotional Roy by surprise.

After being showered with praise by his former Habs coaches Jean Perron, Pat Burns and Jacques Demers, as well as longtime friend and former agent Pierre Lacroix, Roy then carefully made his way to the podium.

“I may have left without probably saying goodbye the way I would have like to, but I’ve always cherished my great memories from my time in Montreal,” admitted Roy. “I remember those nights when we made the walls of the Forum tremble as we lit up Montreal. Tonight, I’ve come home.”

Accompanied by his three children, Jonathan, Frederick and Jana, his parents Michel and Barbara and his siblings Stephane and Alexandra, the proud warrior let his guard down, in a way he rarely did over the course of his Hall of Fame career.

“I have to thank my family who let me fulfill my destiny of becoming an NHL goalie,” said Roy. “I got the chance to wear the most noble of armors, the Montreal Canadiens jersey. I was filled with an insatiable hunger to win for all of you, my fans.”

A true goaltending pioneer armed with his famous butterfly style he helped popularize with trusty goalie coach Francois Allaire, and role model for an entire generation of Quebec goalies, Roy will never forget where it all began for him.

“Thanks for being so demanding and for expecting us to play each game as if it was our last,” continued Roy as he addressed his longtime fans. “Thank you for understanding how each victory was a piece of history. Tonight, we’re retiring an important piece of my armor, but I will always remember the pride with which I wore the bleu-blanc-rouge.”

Despite having made a living at always coming through in high pressure situations, Roy nevertheless had butterflies in his stomach before his ceremony got underway.

“I sure could have used my mask tonight,” admitted a nervous Roy just before making his grand entrance. “It would have been even easier for me to be in nets tonight. Give me a game over this any day!”

True to form, Patrick pulled through and gave the people what they wanted—one last chance to chant his name.
Originally Posted by Canada Sports Hall of Fame
Patrick Roy is often regarded as the greatest goalie ever to play the game of hockey.

Originally Posted by Jean Perron on Game 5 in 1986 Final
He was a skinny kid, and he was moving like crazy, Patrick did miracle saves on Al MacInnis, Joey Mullen, Joe Nieuwendyk, Gary Suter, Joel Otto, Lanny McDonald and Hakan Loob. He was just unbelievable. I thought that was his best game.
Originally Posted by Jean Perron
There is timing in life. There was timing when Patrick replaced that No. 1 goalie in Sherbrooke, there was timing when Penny was hurt in the last game of pre-season and there was timing when Larry Robinson came to me. And you know, he was awesome for us in 1985-86, but I thought he was even better in 1993. This guy was a franchise player.
Originally Posted by Bob Hartley
He's one of the greatest goalies in the game's history. When the big games are there, Patrick brings his game to another level.
Originally Posted by Scotty Bowman
When he's on, he is about as good as it gets.
Originally Posted by Larry Robinson
Coach, you have the right to put that kid in nets, because he is so good that even in practice I can't score on the guy.
Originally Posted by Brian Skrudland
If Patrick Roy isn't the best goaltender in the world, he's right there - and he's been right there for more than a decade. Patrick is a proud man, and when Montreal traded him in December, he took it personally. I've never seen him so at ease and confident. And when Patrick Roy plays with that kind of confidence, he's almost unbeatable.
Originally Posted by Steve Shutt
Getting out of Montreal was the best thing in the world for him, he doesn't have to be God anymore. All he has to do is be the best goalie he can be, and that means the best in the game today.
Originally Posted by Joe Nieuwendyk
Patrick's among the best at waiting you out, then reacting. That patience, plus his size, makes for a pretty formidable challenge. A lot of goalies over-commit. Not him. He's so technical. If you've got a chance against Patrick, you'd better make up your mind and stay hard with whatever decision you come to. If you doubt, you play right into his hands and you are dead.
Originally Posted by Craig Billington
I think his mental skills make him a great goalie. He obviously has good physical skills, but I think it is what he has upstairs that makes him different.
Originally Posted by Dave Hodge in 1986
I want to go back to something Dick Irvin said when the playoffs started. He said that the one big problem area with Montreal, the big weakness, was goaltending. We said that, he said that, and everybody who watched the Canadiens in the second half of the season said that, and I don't know if there has ever been a more dramatic reversal by one individual player in this sport than by Patrick Roy.
Originally Posted by Patrick Roy: Champion Goalie
No player was more keenly watched, however, than the masked man between the red pipes, goaltender Patrick Roy.
Originally Posted by Playing with Fire: The Highest Highs and Lowest Lows of Theo Fleury
Patrick Roy was an amazing goalie, maybe the best of all time.....he was a total competitor. He just hated to lose. He was the king of the Avs.
Originally Posted by The Sporting News 1994-95 Hockey Yearbook, p. 41
Dominik Hasek of the Sabres and John Vanbiesbrouck of the Panthers outplayed him in the regular season. Mike Richter of the Rangers was outstanding in the playoffs. But put all the general managers together and ask them to pick the best goalie in the conference, and they'll choose Roy.
Originally Posted by The Sporting News 1994-95 Hockey Yearbook, p. 52
The Canadiens were 35-17-11 with Roy in the nets last year and 6-12-3 without him. But what makes that statistic all the more remarkable is that the other four goalies used by the Habs played only against weak teams. Roy, facing much higher-caliber opponents, still won twice as many games than he lost and posted an impressive 2.50 goals-against average.
Originally Posted by The Sporting News 1994-95 Hockey Yearbook, p. 52
Roy is the Canadiens' only superstar, and his grit was seldom more evident than during the playoffs, when he played in six of the seven games against the Bruins despite having an appendix problem that required surgery after the Canadiens were eliminated. The appendix was removed, and now he's fine."
Originally Posted by ESPN Hockey 96, p. 91
Raise the stakes and nobody's better. Witness his three appearances on the Cup.
Originally Posted by The Hockey News 1997-98 Yearbook, p. 10
It's difficult to compare players in different eras, but Roy is certainly a major contender to be called the top post-season goaltender of all time.
Originally Posted by The Hockey News 1997-98 Yearbook, p. 99
Patrick Roy had the best statistical season of his career, but without the Cup, he couldn't care less. Entering his 13th full season, Roy hasn't lost much. His 38 wins led the league and he posted a goals-against average of 2.32 and 92.3 save percentage. As always, Roy played well in the playoffs, but was let down by his team's play in front of him. Roy, who will turn 32 Oct. 5, likes to play a lot, but the Avs may want to give him a few more games off this year to stay fresh.
Originally Posted by The Sports Forecaster Hockey '97-'98, p. 203
The ultimate pressure goaltender can carry the whole team on his shoulders if key players take a night off.
Originally Posted by The Sports Forecaster 1999-2000, p. 179
Roy's talent is matched only in size by his ego. He's simply one of the best goaltenders to ever have strapped on the pads. His intestinal fortitude and cavern-size confidence serve him well in pressure situations. He's still the standard by which all butterfly goalies are measured. Roy will continue on his path to the Hall of Fame. Whether he's the best goaltender ever is a moot point...because he thinks he is.
Originally Posted by The Sports Forecaster 2001-02, p. 178
The biggest of the big-game goaltenders, Roy rebounded from a mediocre start to the 2000-01 playoffs to stymie the New Jersey Devils in the cup finals and capture the Conn Smythe Trophy for the third time. He's the original butterfly goaltender, with a legion of young Quebec products now trying to duplicate his style. Roy has good size, covers a great deal of net and has confidence that shines through when it matters most. His most glaring weakness is a tendency to handle the puck too much - and poorly. With the most goaltending wins in NHL history and four Stanley Cups, Roy has already reached the pinnacle of his career. Roy will continue to rewrite the record books while serving as a tutor for David Aebischer.
Originally Posted by The Sports Forecaster 2002-03, p. 172
Now in his late 30s, Roy continues to rack up huge goaltending numbers. The 2001-02 NHL First All-Star Team goaltender led the league in both goals-against average and shutouts, and finished second to Vezina winner Jose Theodore in save percentage. However, his season ended ugly, giving Detroit a gift goal in Game 6 of the Western Conference finals. That blunder led to a 7-0 whitewash in Game 7. Roy has plenty of motivation entering 2002-03. The memory of his last two postseason games, losing to Theodore in both Vezina and Hart voting and the retirement of Dominik Hasek of Detroit. Everything points to another huge year for Roy.
What did he Say?

Originally Posted by Patrick Roy
I have the love to win. I hate to lose. Maybe it's more the hate to lose than the love to win.
Playoffs is not a matter of money. It's a matter of pride. I'm a person with a lot of pride. I love to do well. We play for money during the season but during the playoffs, we don't make a quarter of what me make during the season. Winning the Stanley Cup is something you never forget in your life. It is something you go to the Hall of Fame one day with your little boy and say 'Hey, look, this is what happened in my career.' It's more a matter of pride than being a money guy.
We won the first two games of the finals in Denver, and then we went on to Florida [where the fans took to throwing plastic rats onto the ice after the Panthers scored]. Before the third game, I said to myself, If they score, I won't hide in my net to protect myself. If I give up a goal, I'll face the rats. I was lucky; I only got a couple hundred rats on me. As a player, it gave you a challenge: Let's make sure there aren't any rats.
I can't hear what Jeremy says, because I've got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears.
It was 4-4 after two periods and (Canadiens' coach) Jacques Lemaire came into the dressing room and said, 'Roy, get in the net for the third period.' I asked guy (Guy) Carbonneau if I had really heard correctly and he said, 'Yeah, you're going in for third.' I didn't get a chance to be nervous. I didn't get too many shots. I think the guys were nervous (playing in front of me) and I think I only had two shots. The defencemen blocked most of them. They gave me a lot of protection, I can tell you that!
When I started, I didn't know ten words (of English)," he laughs. "But I wanted to communicate; I wanted people to know what I was thinking. All during the year, I'd go to Carbo (Guy Carbonneau) and ask him, 'What does this mean?
There were a lot of good moments but having the chance to be part of the Hockey Hall of Fame is something that I never thought would be possible. It means a lot to me.
I feel very lucky to have played in the National Hockey League and on teams such as the Canadiens and the Avalanche. I remember the sacrifices, the discipline and the effort, but I also remember the friendships and the awesome feeling of being part of a team.
Every time I think about my career, I think about the four Stanley Cups. There's no doubt about it. As a kid, you play on the street, pretending you're playing for the Stanley Cup. You grab a piece of wood and lift it over your head like the Stanley Cup.

Last edited by chaosrevolver: 01-28-2012 at 08:23 AM.
chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote