View Single Post
Old
01-22-2012, 09:36 AM
The Management

vCash: 500
I'll take Phaneuf.

Non-stop abuse on these boards, but that's what you get when you consider his contract & the team he players for.

Putting up big points on a pretty terrible team this year. Captain of the most media-frenzied franchise in the league, and he handles it all like a professional. His teammates describe him as a hard worker. He is occasionally prone to risky plays, but he's also a leader on the ice with explosive potential on any given night. There's a reason he has that C on his sweater, and I'm fine with paying Phaneuf the amount he's getting. Even when he was struggling in Calgary, most fans were shocked he was dealt, as were several GMs, some of whom you can be sure would've expressed an interest in this "liability."

Girardi is a great player. I can remember it wasn't all that long ago, though, New York fans were eager to drive him to the airport. He was getting tossed into proposals left and right (still 1/4 as many as Tomas Kaberle). Props to him for flourishing into an asset. He's part of the reason for New York's success, but no doubt the environment is in part reciprocally beneficial: he benefits from playing on one of the top teams in the league, in front of one of the game's best goaltenders and behind a mobile two-way offense.

The Management is offline   Reply With Quote