View Single Post
Old
01-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
Eh, can't agree Hickey a bust and Cameron a prospect. Plus, I've never heard Hickey not having a competitive edge. Wonder how much this guy really has seen of LA's 07 class play.
To clarify there, Cameron is not in the Kings system and he was ranked in Calgary's most recent Top 20. I deferred to the Calgary writer on that one. If he had him as the Flames' 18th ranked prospect, I was not about to label him a bust writing about an organization that Cameron was no longer a part of.

I have seen all of Hickey's last two camps and preseasons as I've covered the Kings the past two seasons for a couple Web sites and now the Los Angeles Daily News. I've seen a decent number of Monarchs games but I did a lot of asking around on his play there to boot.

Though I wouldn't say he is a surefire career AHL'er, is there any scenario in which he could meet the expectations? Would you look at the other guys in that top 20 or really even the entire first round that have yet to play a single NHL game and object to their being called busts?

I admit it was a close call, really the only close call on the list. Moller was a little tricky for logistical reasons but as far as an evaluation, sure, I could understand thinking that calling Hickey a bust is bit premature. But in looking at his play and his trajectory in the organization, I just don't see him landing and neither did the sources I talked to for background information. It seemed that in some ways he let the game come to him, but in others he flat out lacked aggression.

Last edited by Andrew Knoll: 01-22-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote