View Single Post
01-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Hockey Outsider
vCash: 500

The mean height is a bit below 6'1", and the median is 6'0". 89% of the players are between 5'10" and 6'3". King Clancy (5'7") and Zdeno Chara (6'9") are outliers.

I know this graph is tough to read, but it should give everyone a decent overview. The mean weight is 197 lbs, and the median is 194 lbs. 87% of the players are between 180 lbs and 220 lbs. Again, King Clancy (155 lbs) and Zdeno Chara (255 lbs) are outliers.

Thirty-five of the defensemen are Canadian. There are four Americans (Chelios, Leetch, Howe, Langway), three Russians (Fetisov, Vasiliev, Kasatonov), two Swedes (Lidstrom, Salming) and one Slovak (Chara).

This is based on NHL seasons (even though I realize that not every defenseman listed played in the NHL). For example, Harvey's "1947-1969" career span translates into "1947-48" to "1968-69" when I summed the data. There may be some minor errors, but nothing significant.

1983 featured fifteen active players: Savard, Vasiliev, Lapointe, Park, Salming, Robinson, Potvin, Howe, Fetisov, Kasatonov, Langway, Bourque, Coffey, MacInnis and Stevens. Obviously, they weren't all in their primes that particular year. Also note that 1984 featured fifteen active players - Savard retired, but Chelios played his first dozen NHL games.

Twenty-nine of the defensemen (64%) played at least one year after expansion. Only six (13%) player at least one year before the consolidation of all of the professional North American leagues into the NHL in 1925-26 (Shore, Clancy, Cleghorn, Gerard, Stuart, Johnson).

Do any eras look over- or under- represented?

Last edited by Hockey Outsider: 01-22-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Hockey Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote