View Single Post
Old
01-22-2012, 02:54 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylocker View Post
Took the big 10 minute cruise from the big city out to Martensville to catch Sask Valley and North East. I thought it was a good game with SV coming back from a 4-2score to tie the game at 4-4. As expected, Vipers got good games from Draude, Fiala, Schatz, and Ingram played his game in the net. I thought both Smallchild and Norrish were very effective on the blueline. Rothenburger skated well but was shut down.
For NorthEast, their top 6 forwards(Paziuk, Elder, Seaman, Grambo, Zary, Borstmayer) were counted on and delivered. As a group, they scored all 4 goals and probably should easily had 4-6 more but Ingram stoned them. While Fiske and Long didn't disappoint on North East's blueline, I thought little Regnier and Gerwing were just as good. Cresswell, like Ingram, had a strong game in net. Didn't look like North East had Amundrud dressed.
Not many games left, but looks like there is very good parity developing in the North.
Looking to provincials, and from what i saw with last night's game, i think NE wears SK Valley down in a 2 game series with their depth. Playing Draude/Fiala 45+ minutes a game against a team with depth, for me anyway, isn't a recipe for success. Then again, i've had issues with SV coaching philosophies for years now.

As for individual performances, Ingram was hands down the best player on the ice, robbing NE of at least 3 goals. Draude was at times dangerous (especially off the rush), but, like most of the SK Valley fowards, was largely contained. Rothenburger was consistently doing good things and i appreciated the way Fox-Zacharias plays a hard game. On D, Smallchild was solid and Norrish, in very limited minutes, played well.

Hard to pick out any one player amongst the NE forwards given the way they roll 3 lines, but one player that surprised me was Shumlanski. Played hard and created more than his share of good opportunities. Agree with your assessment of Regnier and Gerwing, Regnier especially, who other than some mismatch problems with Draude had a strong game.